14 Bolt Swap How to

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Closer to 3" wider for the 4x4 piece, so you'd want 1.5" bolt-on spacers. Or just get the correct rear axle to start with. Good spacers cost a bit, and while I'm not against spacers, it is one more point of potential failure in the assembly.

Richard

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Closer to 3" wider for the 4x4 piece, so you'd want 1.5" bolt-on spacers. Or just get the correct rear axle to start with. Good spacers cost a bit, and while I'm not against spacers, it is one more point of potential failure in the assembly.

Richard

Yah what he said i couldnt remember exact lengths

sent from my outdated S3

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
Thanks and 2 more ignorant questions:

1. If in a junkyard and not told, how to know what gear it will have?
2. What do you look for as potential trouble in looking at one?

Thanks, hope I don't sound too stupid...

You could rotate the tire and count how many times the yolk spins for one tire rotation. Look it up on Youtube. That's what I did with mine

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you're buying one from a boneyard you want to remove the cover first anyway to inspect the condition of the gears, make sure there's no extra pieces laying inside the case, etc.

So while you have the cover off, look at the edge of the ring gear. It'll have some info stamped on it, including two sets of numbers, large and small - these are the number of teeth on the ring and pinion gears. Divide large by small, you'll have the ratio.

You must be registered for see images attach

See the 41 and 10? 41 divided by 10 = 4.1, so .. 4.10:1 ratio. :)

Richard

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
If you're buying one from a boneyard you want to remove the cover first anyway to inspect the condition of the gears, make sure there's no extra pieces laying inside the case, etc.

So while you have the cover off, look at the edge of the ring gear. It'll have some info stamped on it, including two sets of numbers, large and small - these are the number of teeth on the ring and pinion gears. Divide large by small, you'll have the ratio.

You must be registered for see images attach

See the 41 and 10? 41 divided by 10 = 4.1, so .. 4.10:1 ratio. :)

Richard

Awesome never knew this thks man

sent from my outdated S3

GordonCustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well what I found on Yukon Gear is that the 6 lug 14 bolt SF axles are 33-1/4" and the 2000 8 lug 14 bolt SF axles are 33-5/16". You guys think that 1/16" shorter will be a problem?

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
well what I found on Yukon Gear is that the 6 lug 14 bolt SF axles are 33-1/4" and the 2000 8 lug 14 bolt SF axles are 33-5/16". You guys think that 1/16" shorter will be a problem?

Im gona say yes but i honestly dont know

sent from my outdated S3