14 Bolt sf Swap Alignment problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike P

Reaction score
New member and first time posting on the forum so I apologize if this is too long. So I blew up my 10 bolt a few months ago, so we swapped in a 14bsf. I ended up doing a bunch of front end work and took it to work to get it aligned and it went all down hill from there. We use a brand new Hunter WA470 machine at the dealer I work at and all the specs showed good after the alignment. Took the truck for a test ride and the toe was is so bad I could barely control the truck. My question is, is the 14bsf and 10 bolt different widths from drum to drum. I scrapped the 10 bolt months ago so I cant compare anymore. My thinking behind this is that the alignment machine is trying to align the front tires up with the rear (previously a 10 bolt), but maybe the 14bsf is wider and that's were the machine is getting confused? Anyone have this issue or any advice on this problem. Thanks in advance

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There are significant width differences between the 2WD and 4WD versions of both axles, 8.5" 10 bolt and 9.5" 14 bolt. But if you stuck with the same type (2WD for 2WD, 4WD for 4WD) there may still be a minor width difference.

Suggestion: don't do a 4 wheel alignment. Old school front wheel only and see if results change.

Richard

Mike P

Reaction score
I see what your saying. The 14bsf did come out of a 4x4 truck. I'm going to try to just do a front wheel alignment today and see what happens. Thanks for the help

84cj

Reaction score
The 4x4 SF 14 bolt is either 1/2 or 1 inch wider than the 4x4 10 bolt. Not enough to make a difference. I had measured mine wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface when I did the swap.

Just because it's a new alignment machine doesn't mean it's calibrated either. We get some re-aligns from a tire shop a few towns away. Either their machine is off/not calibrated, specs are off in the program, or the techs........