12200411 PCM swap for 1996 to 2000 GMT400 trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
righteous! the trans wires are the worst part of it for me, but thats only because I hate laying on the floor and working overhead....I need a lift...its really not hard at all...glad its running well for you. if you want to get into tuning it yourself let me know.

i did them at the cluster and it wasnt that bad

olblue97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i did them at the cluster and it wasnt that bad

This is what I did.It was a little easier in my case,there was a hole already drilled and a grommit installed for the fog lights.there was plenty of room left to run the wires though.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, at the cluster is a good way to go about it, I did mine at the trans (when I had a auto) but that was back when the swap details were still being worked on and bugs were getting worked out, now that everything is well documented and tested, at the cluster is probably how I'd do it too...either way will work great.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
How much of a night mare would it be to put this PCM into a pre vortec truck like my '89? Its lil things like this that make me hesitant about going through with an LS swap into that truck.

When i put a vortec headed tpi (needs a hard to come by special lower manifold) run by a 411 in my 89 k1500, i pirated a vortec engine bay wiring harness and grafted it in.

Not easy, but not a nightmare either.

Wish i had pics, but a drive crash made them all go bye bye. It was painted like this gents setup though:

You must be registered for see images attach

That was many many moons ago so I dont remember many specific details other than it ran like a scalled cat and got an awful lot of oooo's and ahhhh's anytime i popped the hood.

Well, it ran like a scalded cat up to around 2500-3000 rpm where the stock tpi runners started running out of breath that is....

I do remember it being a super mega PITA to dial in though, even with a custom vdf i wrote/collaborated in tunercatII.

I use the craig moates RTOBDII version if any one is wondering....Moved on to diesels a few years ago and pretty much faded most of my gasser info into oblivion.

The truck was sold off long ago for essentially the drivetrain as the frame and body developed terminal rot. Well, i also got tired of constantly having to frig with something to keep it running tip top...Fact of life with a custom job....

Last edited:

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
When i put a vortec headed tpi (needs a hard to come by special lower manifold) run by a 411 in my 89 k1500, i pirated a vortec engine bay wiring harness and grafted it in.

Not easy, but not a nightmare either.

Wish i had pics, but a drive crash made them all go bye bye. It was painted like this gents setup though:

You must be registered for see images attach

That was many many moons ago so I dont remember many specific details other than it ran like a scalled cat and got an awful lot of oooo's and ahhhh's anytime i popped the hood.

Well, it ran like a scalded cat up to around 2500-3000 rpm where the stock tpi runners started running out of breath that is....

I do remember it being a super mega PITA to dial in though, even with a custom vdf i wrote/collaborated in tunercatII.

I use the craig moates RTOBDII version if any one is wondering....Moved on to diesels a few years ago and pretty much faded most of my gasser info into oblivion.

The truck was sold off long ago for essentially the drivetrain as the frame and body developed terminal rot. Well, i also got tired of constantly having to frig with something to keep it running tip top...Fact of life with a custom job....

now thats a pretty engine bay

Raydar86

Reaction score
Will this work for a 7.4. I got a K2500 HD and at a 30 mile commute at ten mpg is kicking my but.