12200411 PCM swap for 1996 to 2000 GMT400 trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Picked up a 411 PCM with "starter" tune and assorted connectors from Lexxtech,
After reading Aloicious' write up, I've got a couple questions.
My '97 with the 4l60e, I'm going to need to splice into those trans wires, right?
Either at the tranny or in the cluster harness, but it's gotta be done, correct?

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah you should do those wires, its really not too hard as long as you know basic soldiering.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
yeah you should do those wires, its really not too hard as long as you know basic soldiering.

I did some soldering back in an electronics class in school, what do I need, flux, solder and an iron?
I spent a lot of time err... not in that class.. :nono:

Would you suggest doing it in the cluster harness? Keep my mess out of the elements? hah

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this may help refresh your memory on soldering: http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/soldering.html

really either way is good, I did mine down by the trans, and it worked fine, it should be good as long as you have it well sealed, and doing it up by the cluster harness is also good, and you won't have to route the wires as far from there, so that's nice...also be sure when you're routing the wires up to the PCM that you have them well protected and secured so they won't fall on headers or anything else.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
this may help refresh your memory on soldering: http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/soldering.html

really either way is good, I did mine down by the trans, and it worked fine, it should be good as long as you have it well sealed, and doing it up by the cluster harness is also good, and you won't have to route the wires as far from there, so that's nice...also be sure when you're routing the wires up to the PCM that you have them well protected and secured so they won't fall on headers or anything else.

Awesome, yeah that link helped bring it back to me, thanks man.
So splicing into them at the transmission, I'd be bringing 4 wires up to the PCM from the trans?
I've been having Microsoft Office issues, unable to open the spreadsheet atm

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah its 4 wires, and you'd either run them up from the side of the trans to the PCM, or from the cluster harness area to the PCM.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
yeah its 4 wires, and you'd either run them up from the side of the trans to the PCM, or from the cluster harness area to the PCM.

Awesome :waytogo: Thanks man I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge! PITA I can't get this spreadsheet open..

Edit: Able to get the spreadsheet open, phew.

1.This wiring file assumes you are starting with a 1997 V-8 Truck. If your truck is a 5.0 liter ( 305 ) it would probably be best not to hook up the after Cat O2 sensor---Have the PCM tuned for NO post Cat O2 sensors.
2. Have the PCM programmed for NO VATS.

3. The Evap canister vacuum switch that the 97 has is not supported by the 0411. The 97 does not have a Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor---Have the PCM programmed for NO Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor, Unless you want to install a 98-2000 Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor and Charcoal Canister with its vent valve, to have a fully functional Evap System.

4. Hook the Pink wire of the 98-2000 charcoal canister vent valve to the leftover Pink wire of C1 pin 4 of the 97 PCM, and hook the White wire of the vent valve to connector C2 RED pin 45 of the 0411 PCM. Have the 0411 programmed for NO Alternator codes.
5.You will probably need to do a Crank Relearn after the PCM swap--If so, there will be a Check Engine Light with code P1336 until you perform the Crank Relearn. Even if you don't get code P1336 you should still perform a Crank Relearn.
6.If you are keeping the EGR installed and plugged in, you need to cut the PINK wire at the EGR connector and tuck that wire back into the harness---THE PINK WIRE WILL NOT BE USED. Run a wire from the short/cut Pink wire at the EGR connector directly to the 0411 connector C2 pin 7.

:think:
So I guess I should have asked for those to be tuned out as well. (#2, #3)
:nono: This is becoming more of a clusterfck everytime I look at it.

To skip #3 and #4, I just do step #6 and cut that pinkwire.. then splice/route that pink wire to the 411?

Last edited:

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what PCM do you have? did you get one tuned from Jeff?