10 to 14 bolt SF swap - Quick Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeucesAllin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Newer unit? As in from a GMT 800? Completely new to me but I'm listening...
I cant do it FOR you.

idk whar your payong...but if your doing one, why not get something newer, with bigger brakes?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I'm not expecting you to pull the axle, just share your knowledge on what to look for. If I knew, I wouldn't post a thread..

This yard wants $99.99 for a rear axle with drummies and $119.99 for one with discs. So pretty cheap really. I already saw the bigger drums as an upgrade in the brake department, but if you know something that'll be a drop in replacement with discs or better drums, please let me know and maybe I'll reconsider or pull this axle for the experience and then wait until I find what you mention.

DeucesAllin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not expecting you to pull the axle, just share your knowledge on what to look for. If I knew, I wouldn't post a thread..

This yard wants $99.99 for a rear axle with drummies and $119.99 for one with discs. So pretty cheap really. I already saw the bigger drums as an upgrade in the brake department, but if you know something that'll be a drop in replacement with discs or better drums, please let me know and maybe I'll reconsider or pull this axle for the experience and then wait until I find what you mention.
thats a screaming deal...

I finished a 2wd GMT 400 earlier this year...went with a 97(?) 6 lug SF and 456 gears from a 2wd (4wd is narrow).

Then used 5 to 6 lug adapters in front to bring the wheels flush.

16" ralleys cleared the disks, parking break was easy.

You dont need a thread to search.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Right, I figure even if I don't end up using the axle the experience is nice and I could sell it for at least double what I paid for it.

I did search, like my first post mentioned I gathered what to look for, how to spot one, the RPO codes that matter and noted I needed a 4wd axle since they're shorter like you mentioned but also need to pull one from a half ton truck because of potential yoke differences. But I didn't see any answers to the questions I had so that's why I created my own thread. I could try searching again, as I don't remember seeing anything about what years got disc brakes. I assumed those didn't happen until the GMT800 came on the scene. Disc brakes are dandy but I don't mind drummies. Because the way I see that swap means I might as well get the right master cylinder, make sure to take the proportioning valve and such. About all I know about the 1995+ trucks is that they got true 4 wheel ABS, updated interior and Vortec '96+..

Last edited:

DeucesAllin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right, I figure even if I don't end up using the axle the experience is nice and I could sell it for at least double what I paid for it.

I did search, like my first post mentioned I gathered what to look for, how to spot one, the RPO codes that matter and noted I needed a 4wd axle since they're shorter like you mentioned but also need to pull one from a half ton truck because of potential yoke differences. But I didn't see any answers to the questions I had so that's why I created my own thread. I could try searching again, as I don't remember seeing anything about what years got disc brakes. I assumed those didn't happen until the GMT800 came on the scene. Disc brakes are dandy but I don't mind drummies. Because the way I see that swap means I might as well get the right master cylinder, make sure to take the proportioning valve and such. About all I know about the 1995+ trucks is that they got true 4 wheel ABS, updated interior and Vortec '96+..
Carefull on "might as well" builds... they end up never finished for many.

The yoke is the least of your concerns, once you have the unit, post a pic of the ends your trying to mate and the forums will help.

If I were you, I would find an axle with your dream gear, swap it, and never look back.

If I do a gmt400 again I would do a SF rear and parts store front brakes from newer model PPV tahoe.

If your okay with a cutoff wheel or torch...I would probably use a gmt900 Suburban or Tahoe axle as they have huge rear brakes compared to your current fronts.

DeucesAllin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also... the newer AAM sf 14 bolts from GM and Dodge are internally interchangable, and have tons of tone ring options.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Exactly, I never intended on swapping the 10 bolt but mostly because I never expected to find the donor truck but here it is... That and upgrading to larger drums and a G80 sounds appealing.

I feel I'm happy with the 3.73's actually. I rarely take the tach past 2500 rpm.. The truck sees a lot of freeway action and sports stock wheels & tires. Since it's a 4x4 I'd have to regear the front too and I was looking to nab the rear, send it to the shop down the street, get it back, do the brakes myself and then throw it on.

I suck pretty bad with a cutoff wheel and haven't used a torch in probably 15 years. Pretty much a novice who knows just enough to be.. umm I'll leave that for anyone's interpretation haha. That's one of the reasons I typically don't get involved in "big" jobs as past experience shows they snowball and the last thing you want to do is get into a project with what was supposed to be a DD.