10 bolt open diff to g80 diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
Don't put a G80 in it. They are junk. You would be very foolish to pay for one.

Put a junkyard open diff axle assembly in it. Might cost around $200ish. I wouldn't be that worried about the rear sway bar. It's not really that necessary.

Call the local drag car/4x4 shops and see what they charge to set up gears in an axle. I'd guess about $250ish in labor alone. If you do go this route I think an open diff or LSD is best. 10 bolts are pretty weak, a spool would probably snap an axle shaft in no time under a suburban.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't put a G80 in it. They are junk. You would be very foolish to pay for one.

Put a junkyard open diff axle assembly in it. Might cost around $200ish. I wouldn't be that worried about the rear sway bar. It's not really that necessary.

Call the local drag car/4x4 shops and see what they charge to set up gears in an axle. I'd guess about $250ish in labor alone. If you do go this route I think an open diff or LSD is best. 10 bolts are pretty weak, a spool would probably snap an axle shaft in no time under a suburban.
This suburban has over 230k miles, and this is the first rear end related problem its had, id say its been a great 10 bolt *knock on wood*. And as far as the g80, my grandpas 94 k1500 has 285k miles and has the original g80. No problems as long as you take care of it and dont jerk around. Just how i see it lol.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Wasnt sure on the f bodies haha. Guess ill just have to baby the g80 till i can afford better parts! And do you have any pics on how you did the swaybar?

Apologies for the delay! I've been physically ****'d for the last couple of weeks! Old injuries acting up. Again! If I was to crawl under the truck, I wouldn't have been able to get back up, & seeing as how I'm here by myself, I could of been there for days!
Anyways, I spent some time digging through some pix on an old computer, seeing as that's about the most physical activity I'm capable of right now!
And...Ta-daaa! I found these pix of the sway bar mounts I made up.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just curious, and I guess a bit anxious, as I've got a G80 in my truck. What is the problem with G80s? Are they too lightly built? Is the limited slip a poor design? weak axle shafts? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Just curious, and I guess a bit anxious, as I've got a G80 in my truck. What is the problem with G80s? Are they too lightly built? Is the limited slip a poor design? weak axle shafts? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Well, for starters even when they are in prime, perfect working order, they require like 7 mph to lock, and unlock at something like 15 mph. So it's entirely possible to have a perfectly functioning one let you down and get you dug in somewhere. Then, yes, they are weakly built, many people refer to them as the "gov bomb"

Then, on top of it, the 10 bolt overall is marginal at best in a half ton truck. Shaft size, c-clip design, just not great.

Now, under light use, like, originally intended use. They last pretty decently. Start putting bigger tires on and using low range alot, and the fuse is lit, the bomb is ticking...

I wouldn't rip out a good 10 bolt/G80 combo in a driver, but I wouldn't swap one in either.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good to know. I'll probably be ok, as I street drive, have an auto trans, stock tire size, and 2WD. Plus, I treat things like I want them to last. But, if I had a repair issue, I'd hunt for a good used 14 bolt unit, SF, and swap it in. Are the shafts and hubs on the 14 bolt units one piece? Reason I ask is I have 5 lug hubs now, and would like to stay that way.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
On a SF 14 bolt, it has a flanged shaft like a 10 bolt. You would have to swap to 6 lug wheels. You can do the front with 2500 parts.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
The G80 is a stout unit when used in its intended application. It was designed for light military style jeeps. The mechanism inside the auto locker senses a difference of RPM from axle to axle (200-300 rpm IIRC) and locks the carrier. It becomes a time bomb when put under a 2+ ton truck or SUV. Sure, some G80 time bombs have longer fuses than others, but they're still time bombs. I searched and searched for my Suburban before I bought it because it DOES NOT have a "G80" gov-bomb, and installed a proper clutch style LSD in it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I searched and searched for my Suburban before I bought it because it DOES NOT have a "G80" gov-bomb, and installed a proper clutch style LSD in it.

Um... why? The 10 bolt housings are identical between G80 and non G80 trucks. If your intention was always to swap carriers then what they had from the factory makes no difference at all.

Also as a side note to all the 14B swap talk, I'm of the opinion that the 10 bolts are plenty strong for most people in half tons as long as they don't have the G80.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Um... why? The 10 bolt housings are identical between G80 and non G80 trucks. If your intention was always to swap carriers then what they had from the factory makes no difference at all.

Also as a side note to all the 14B swap talk, I'm of the opinion that the 10 bolts are plenty strong for most people in half tons as long as they don't have the G80.
It is one of those 90% of people 90% of the time things.

They've been stock for 30+ years now, probably logged billions of miles, and most people do not have problems.

I just personally, would upgrade if I did have a problem, rather than rebuild.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk