10 bolt open diff to g80 diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pampo'sTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't offroad cause I have a 2wd open diff. I like to tell people I have an "unlimited slip" rear end lol. I think for my purposes (mostly for winter driving) trutrac would prob work well. I mostly drive it on pavement and pull my flatbed sometimes with scrap metal and/or junk cars. I figured it would help tremendously in mud and snow.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
What did I ever do to you exactly? Don't blame me for your bitterness.

The implied cluelessness below was *******. So I sarcasmed you back. No blame for bitterness expressed or implied.

Um... why? The 10 bolt housings are identical between G80 and non G80 trucks. If your intention was always to swap carriers then what they had from the factory makes no difference at all..

OP...some govbombs last longer than the truck its attached to. Ask yourself this. Say you put one in your truck. Say it blows ip. Do you feel like a dumbass for doing it, knowing beforehand it could blow up? Or is it more like big deal, I'll just go get another one and run it, if it blows up too, big wup. Me personally, I chose to stay away from it for the reasons I've already mentioned. I won't have to deal with a broken auto locker. It's really your decision.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I don't offroad cause I have a 2wd open diff. I like to tell people I have an "unlimited slip" rear end lol. I think for my purposes (mostly for winter driving) trutrac would prob work well. I mostly drive it on pavement and pull my flatbed sometimes with scrap metal and/or junk cars. I figured it would help tremendously in mud and snow.

You're probably right, for you, and most people, a good TruTrac will be great. I have however, seen locked 2wd's go all over offroad, especially since an open 4x4 is only 2wd anyway lol

Pampo'sTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well and I didn't even know I could lift my 2wd so I will prob do that sometime in the future. Not to go overboard but mostly to try and level the front with the back and give me a lil more room to get under it while I'm working on it lol.

I'm just tired of having issues going uphill in the winter time and getting out of my soupy driveway and dirt road when all the snow starts to melt. I figure If I lift the front a lil to be level with the back than I won't push snow as early or high center when it gets really deep.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Good tires, aggressive tread, make the biggest difference of all. Going to a hybrid AT over a more road oriented tire would surprise you. Of course, you'd walk up the driveway with Bogger's lol.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The implied cluelessness below was *******. So I sarcasmed you back. No blame for bitterness expressed or implied.

I was clueless. I had no idea what your living situation was or why you would do what you did. You could have just told me that budget was an issue and you really didn't like the idea of owning a G80 and left it at that. The way you worded your post made me wonder, thats all. Enough said.

Pampo'sTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I just bought a pair of Wrangler AT's from Wal-mart. Does help a lot compared to the toyo's I had on there. I've always wanted a locker since I was in highschool and learned about them. 1 wheel burnouts SUCK!! Now it's for more practical reasons, that and I pay for my own tires these days lol.

Price wise though seems to me putting an open diff from a junkyard would be the cheapest. Prob Followed by a new carrier like a trutrac or a locker, it's prob more expensive to pout a new rearend under there huh? Though I've always wondered if I could find something with disc brakes how hard it'd be to put that in instead. I'd have to change the master cylinder too though huh. Plenty of options. They all just depend on the wallet.