10 bolt open diff to g80 diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It is one of those 90% of people 90% of the time things.

They've been stock for 30+ years now, probably logged billions of miles, and most people do not have problems.

I just personally, would upgrade if I did have a problem, rather than rebuild.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

G80 carriers aren't rebuildable anyway IIRC...

EDIT - Oh I see, you mean the 10 bolt axle. Different strokes I guess.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Um... why? The 10 bolt housings are identical between G80 and non G80 trucks. If your intention was always to swap carriers then what they had from the factory makes no difference at all.

Also as a side note to all the 14B swap talk, I'm of the opinion that the 10 bolts are plenty strong for most people in half tons as long as they don't have the G80.

Why? So I could drive worry free until I had an available sum of money I didn't need to spend on anything else more important than a traction aiding device for my daily driver appliance. Being a modest and responsible father with a mortgage, children, etc., it took 5 years to not have other things to spend that kind of money on. So, being a realist, knowing I'd need to drive the truck every day, and someday be able to put a posi unit in it, I used comm on sense, and found a truck with a govbomb free worry free failure free rear end to drive in the meantime. I had no idea all 10 bolts were actually the same housings. That is astonishing, man, and extremely profound yet fascinating at the same time.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is astonishing, man, and extremely profound yet fascinating at the same time.

Well, thanks for answering the question and not being a d!ck about it or anything... Jeezus.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm confused. So basically g80 is a nono, and money would be better spent on a TruTrac?

Depends on what you want to use it for primarily, but basically yes. The G80s that came in these trucks are not a great design any way you look at it. Eaton makes great carriers. If you're going to be doing primarily street driving, a TrueTrac would probably be a good solution. If you're going to be off-roading in situations where you might have one drive wheel off of the ground then I'd go with a Detroit Locker. The difference being the way they transfer torque in those situations. The TrueTrac will freewheel and just spin the tire that's off the ground unless you apply some brake, whereas the Detroit Locker will continue splitting the torque 50-50 between the drive wheels and continue forward with no extra driver input.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I'm confused. So basically g80 is a nono, and money would be better spent on a TruTrac?

My personal take is, if you have one, enjoy. If you have an open, you're better off. If you want a "posi", don't go get a G80 and swap it in, get a trutrac, or my preference, Detroit Locker. If you have a G80 and it blows, don't bother with swapping in another.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My personal take is, if you have one, enjoy.

I agree with this 100% as well in regards to the G80s. I actually have a Detroit Locker and 4.10s ready to go in my red truck, but haven't done it yet simply because I bought another vehicle that I'd rather be dumping money into and the G80 that's in there is truthfully just fine for what I do. Both of my trucks have the 10-bolt G80s and while I do curse at them sometimes, it's not terribly often. They're just not extremely good off-roaders or donut machines.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I see often online, people get hung up on "have to" upgrades, and they get so overwhelmed, they wind up doing nothing....

I wheeled my FJ40 for years with a three speed, straight six, open diffs, and stock Birfields. I didn't have the internet, not really, in the mid 90's. I didn't know I had to swap in a 4 speed, 5.13's, lockers, and Longfields to go offroad lol.