10 bolt open diff to g80 diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My rear end recently went out in my 1999 suburban, and it is due to the spider gears. I am able to get a low mileage g80 differential for a good price. Both my suburban and the donor are 4 wheel drive, 6 lug 1500s. What all is involved in swapping out the differentials?

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
For one, Make sure it is the same ratio as the front. I don't see why it wouldn't be a direct swap. Spring perches and shock mounts the same?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Unless you do it yourself (which I don't recommend unless you're fully aware of all the finer details of carrier/gear installation) the labor cost is still going to be pretty gnarly. I've said this many times before, but if you're going to be spending the time and money to replace your carrier, don't get a G80. They're just awful.

EDIT - Just realized you're talking about two 4WD trucks. Are you planning on swapping the carrier and gears out or just swapping the entire axle? Full axle would probably be easier to do by yourself, but then you're still stuck with the terrible G80.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
G80...hmmm. No beuno. Why install a known marginal part, that's already used, to begin with?
If your gears are still serviceable, & you still want/need posi, use them + your housing + the axles you have now, & get an Eaton style limited slip carrier.
They're more reliable & stronger, too. GM installed them in '94-'96 Impala sedans. (Not the wagons) They're 30 spline, 10 bolt rear ends, same as the trucks.
I've picked them up for about $100.00. They're totally rebuildable if you want. (I've done several, over the years) But, the ones that I have now, have proven to be fine as I got them.
Gov-locks aren't worth rebuilding. Or even installing.

You must be registered for see images attach

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
G80...hmmm. No beuno. Why install a known marginal part, that's already used, to begin with?
If your gears are still serviceable, & you still want/need posi, use them + your housing + the axles you have now, & get an Eaton style limited slip carrier.
They're more reliable & stronger, too. GM installed them in '94-'96 Impala sedans. (Not the wagons) They're 30 spline, 10 bolt rear ends, same as the trucks.
I've picked them up for about $100.00. They're totally rebuildable if you want. (I've done several, over the years) But, the ones that I have now, have proven to be fine as I got them.
Gov-locks aren't worth rebuilding. Or even installing.

Are those the same thing that came in camaros and firebirds as well? And only reason i got a g80 is because it was $50, and as a college student, i just cant afford to go all out. Id love to have a yukon or eaton locker though later. And as far as installation, my grandpa is helping me with it. This is all a learning curve for me.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For one, Make sure it is the same ratio as the front. I don't see why it wouldn't be a direct swap. Spring perches and shock mounts the same?
Im just replacing the carrier. I just cant find a 3.42 4x4 rear end for an suv (truck rear ends lack the swaybar mounts).

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Are those the same thing that came in camaros and firebirds as well? And only reason i got a g80 is because it was $50, and as a college student, i just cant afford to go all out. Id love to have a yukon or eaton locker though later. And as far as installation, my grandpa is helping me with it. This is all a learning curve for me.

Didn't know the budget! Lol! Haven't had much to do with F-body's since the 2nd gen! (Old Fart!) But, from what I've gathered, they have gov-locs.
I have a couple of gov-loc carriers sitting here. I'd of given them to you for free. Shipping to N.C. woulda been killer though!

Im just replacing the carrier. I just cant find a 3.42 4x4 rear end for an suv (truck rear ends lack the swaybar mounts).

Don't need the specific rear-end that came with a sway bar! You can make the mounts. Just gotta get some new urethane bushings & new shells, & some heavy duty 3" muffler clamps. $20.00? Maybe!

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?5088-suburban-rear-swaybar-on-obs

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wasnt sure on the f bodies haha. Guess ill just have to baby the g80 till i can afford better parts! And do you have any pics on how you did the swaybar?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I lost a bunch of pix when my old computer crashed. (5000+!) The 97's in the shop so it's nice & dry! I'll crawl under tomorrow & snap a couple.
My '98 has no box on it right now, but it's outside, cold & wet! (sniff!) That rear suspension set-up is nowhere near stock, though, so that doesn't help at all.