10 bolt on last leg...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Askme42

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just do it right with the 14 bolt SF. I have about 1k in mine but that's locker new gears seals and sandblasted. None of the work done by me.

Just be patient and you will find one listed for a decent price.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
You've already popped a 10 bolt, which tell me the way you use it is aggressive enough to step up in strength.

Even big tires and burnouts on pavement is enough to make a 10 bolt scream for mercy. The G80 isn't intended for this use either. It's made to get the truck moving a slow speed when one tire has less traction than the other. It's not for mud running either. It's just not built for any kind of abuse other than a snow covered road or similar normal driving situations.

A 10 bolt G80 is good for a driver, but you can find it's limits fairly quickly with even moderately hard use like plowing, big tires, burnouts, mud flinging, etc.....

SF if you only use it moderately and don't want different wheels front and rear, FF if you intend to hammer it.

Loss4wrds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I daily drive it. So 90% street but the Hot Springs orv park is right down the road and I go every chance I get. Didn't have a g80 in it. Had an eaton posi. Carrier bearing failure is what got me. But only had the 10 bolt because I picked up the matching set with 4.56's when I lifted truck 3yrs ago for $500

Loss4wrds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok been fighting low fuel pressure issues for days now. Just got it sorted out tonight. Freaking split rubber hose between pump and sending unit. Anyway back to differential issues next week.

Loss4wrds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I ended up getting a CUCV 14 bolt FF with 4.56's and a Detroit locker. I have picked up a set of Solid Axle Industries aluminum 6 lug conversion hubs, cutthroat offroad disc brake brackets. I still need: discs, calipers, u-bolts/plates, shock tabs, spring perches, and conversion u-joint. Planning on going with TSM's 76-78 El Dorado calipers with parking brakes/brackets. Hopefully this paycheck or next. That will be the last big $$ item. Everything else will be a little $$ here and a little $$ there, time, and elbow grease. Hoping to be ready to throw it in Thanksgiving/Christmas vacation time period or god forbid, when the 10-bolt goes, as I have to have something to drive.

As for the 10-bolt. I put new carrier bearings in it and put it back together. With the damage to some of the teeth and all it sounded terrible for the first 100mi or so but has since quieted down. Seems to be running smooth. I have been as gentle as possible with it but have put about 5k miles on it with out issue.

blazin8556

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I daily drive it. So 90% street but the Hot Springs orv park is right down the road and I go every chance I get. Didn't have a g80 in it. Had an eaton posi. Carrier bearing failure is what got me. But only had the 10 bolt because I picked up the matching set with 4.56's when I lifted truck 3yrs ago for $500
where might you be from. I'm about 3-4 hrs from hot springs

Loss4wrds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Started the 14bolt build over the holiday. Got the axle flanges turned down and old drums and hubs pulled off and started cleaning up housing for fresh paint. Will take some pics and post up when I get a chance.