10 Bolt Diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Guldan

Reaction score
I blew the rear end out of my 1988 GMC C1500 last night :(, it was a 3.73 gear with factory possi, I haven't
You must be registered for see images attach
been into it yet but there is a big hole in the cover with some funny smelling stuff running out:(. Does anyone have any interchange information on what I can replace it with?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Rear end fluid stinks. Even new it still stinks. I just rebuilt mine. $1100 in parts. All new bearings and seals, new 373 gear set, new Eaton true trac. Your rear end can be swapped with almost any other c1500 GMT400 rear end. Thing is, these trucks are getting old, so if you find a rear end, how long will it last. With the hole in the diff cover, most likely, you broke one of the little parts in the carrier. Pull off the cover and look inside. The rear end is most likely fixable, but you will need a new carrier. I am very happy with my truetrac. It will engage the other tire any time there is slippage no mater what the speed, and its very quiet. I never hear it engage.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yea, depending on how much downtime yo can live with, you can bring it to a shop to repair it or look for a used one or attempt to fix it yourself. Only way to know for sure is to open it up and dig in.

Being a C1500 you probably have 5-lug which will be slightly more difficult to find unless you convert to a 6-lug.

If you wanted more out of it this would be a good time to re-gear if you want 4.10s or something steeper.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yikes! What were you doing when it gave out? Burnouts?

If you could find another axle from the wrecking yard, that's probably the cheapest option. Not sure in Wisconsin, but around here these axles are around $100-$200 from parted out trucks. That's assuming you get the same ratio though.

Shop is probably going to be $400-$600 plus parts, depending on what blew. So it would from $800+.

At this point, it's already blown, so at least remove the cover to see the carnage. I think it's the spider gears and/or ring gears that blow on these?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
AKA Gov-Bomb. Don't get another G80 rear end.

Actually, G80 is GM's RPO for anything 'posi', regardless of the design.
They've used it since at least the '60's.
My SS Nova had a 12b & an Eaton clutch style carrier. RPO was G80.
Camaros, Chevelles & full-sized were the same.
'94-'96 Impala SS's with posi had an Eaton w/clutches. Also...G80.
These trucks & some of the '90's B-body wagons came with the 'G80', but, of course, it's that ticking time bomb called a Gov-Lock.