?? 10 Bolt - 12 Bolt - 14 Bolt ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GreaseDog

Pickup Artist
Reaction score
You're forgetting that the discs will be inherently less effective with the boost supplied to drums.
Yes, and no. The discs are a lot lighter, eliminating rotating mass is never bad. My bigger concern would be larger rotors and dual piston calipers at the rear, and smaller single piston calipers at the rear. I haven't really dug into the whole system yet. First thing is getting the knuckles out so I can figure out what it's going to take to make it work. The system will be hydroboosted too, I know that much.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, and no. The discs are a lot lighter, eliminating rotating mass is never bad. My bigger concern would be larger rotors and dual piston calipers at the rear, and smaller single piston calipers at the rear. I haven't really dug into the whole system yet. First thing is getting the knuckles out so I can figure out what it's going to take to make it work. The system will be hydroboosted too, I know that much.

My point is that discs require more line pressure than drums to be effective, so you probably won't have as much rear bias as you fear.

GreaseDog

Pickup Artist
Reaction score
That's why I have to look at the whole system. I'm not just throwing discs in with a stock prop valve and Mc. I'm going to match the whole system.

FLYWHEEL

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to this forum, but I've done a lot of work over the years on custom GM rigs, including multiple 14B swaps and flips. Less than a year ago we put a fully built shaved 14B underneath an F-body Camaro for a guy that was pushing 900 RWHP on pump gas. I always roll my eyes when people start talking about how 14B aren't **THAT** strong.........

In relation to what exactly? A friggin Rockwell?

Grab a 14B and build it out, don't look back.

Also, I'm about 2 hours from you in case you need any major fabrication help.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Yeah don't build a 10 bolt. Not worth it.

I think they are fine for the street as long as you aren't doing burnouts and hole shots.

I rebuilt my 10 bolt but it's basically a stock truck with minor towing.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Okay like others have said come to the darkside and build the 14 bolt. I have in the neighborhood of 375 on power and I have killed transmissions, and one old 10 bolt. With that said, since you have 440 for power, I would strongly consider a detroit for a locking device. I have been told that with my power I should just focus on the trutrac and be done with it. I will agree, because I have a powertrax in my 14B currently and I already broke it when I turned a corner. I think I broke a spring or something simple, but I have no posi and takeoffs really suck for me, and I can't wait to gather the funds to buy the trutrac.