?? 10 Bolt - 12 Bolt - 14 Bolt ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DamHoodlum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry for the long post in advance, but i need some advice please,

I have had my C1500 for about 20 years now, It used to be my daily years ago. Its had a couple of motors and transmissions over the years. I recently just got running after 4 years of sitting and proceeded to break the 10 bolt the same day.(impala posi unit, Not a G80) I dont have much motor, Its a 355 (440whp) with a 100 shot. Its mostly for burnouts and mustangs and trips to the beer store.

I have a 14 bolt 6 lug 9.5" sf rear end from a 93 3/4 ton 2wd truck with G80 and 3:73 gears, I plan on changing the G80 out with an aftermarket posi , I spoke with Dutchman axles and they can make me 5 lug axles, So would this be the same as the factory SS 14 bolt rear end with 5 lug) from my research and measurements it looks like it should bolt right up, but would like some verification. My main concern is this thing is huge, I know this would probably never break it, Im just concerned that it is overkill for my application and may slow me down

New Axles are $370 - Posi is about $550 - disc brakes with emergency brake kits is $535. This gets me close to $1500 by the time I get it all together with parts fluids and labor. Im only thinking the disc brakes will save weight over the heavy drum brake set up. Would you use a kit from little shop mfg or try to use a newer NBS 14 bolt disc brake setup?

I can buy a factory 5 lug SS 14 bolt G80/3;73 rear local for $500, Should i sell my rear end and buy this one? Then I wouldn't have to buy axles, just replace posi and new disc brakes setup & hardware

Years ago I had a Nova that ran 7.33 in the 1/8 mile that had a good 12 bolt with posi and axles and never broke anything. It is Also cheaper to do rear disc brakes or use factory drum brakes on the 10/12 bolt. Would a rebuilt 10-12 bolt good posi-axles-gear be strong enough?

14 Bolt, new aftermarket posi, new 5 lug axles - use factory 3:73 gear
14 Bolt SS Rear -new aftermarket posi - disc brakes - use factory 3:73 gear
12 Bolt with new aftermarket posi - new aftermarket axles and new gear.
(I realize I would need to weld new leaf spring perches to use this rear end)
10 Bolt with new after market posi,new aftermarket axles and new gear

I know I can switch to 6 Lug easy but I want to stay 5 Lug because I just Got New 5 lug Wheels

I want to Stay GM - NO Ford Parts on my Chevy

So if your gonna spend $1000-$1500 what would you do?

Its obvious Im overthinking the situation

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not much help but I'm interested in how this project goes for you, regardless of how you choose to go about it. I've been considering swapping a 14 bolt into my C1500 and retaining five lug wheels as well. After the 4L80E swap is complete that's going to be the weak point in my drivetrain for sure.

I believe the GMT400 2WD six lug 14 bolts are the same size and track width as the 454SS five lug 14 bolts, I've read that in a few different places. I'd also like confirmation from someone who's done this, though.

I'm one of the rare people who doesn't have issues with the factory brakes in these trucks, so I'm thinking I'll stick with drums. That's something I'm curious about, is it possible to use the factory drum brakes from the 10 bolt on the 14 bolt if you have the appropriate five lug axle shafts?

Nice to know there's another place that will do custom five lug axle shafts for the six lug 2WD 14 bolts. Moser Engineering will plug and re-drill existing axle shafts for $90 each, this is probably the route I'll go.

My plan is basically to pick up a 2WD six lug 14 bolt from a salvage yard, use whatever I can from the drum brakes, have the axle shafts re-drilled for the five lug pattern, and install an Eaton Detroit Locker and Richmond Gear 4.10s. (I have factory 3.42s in the red truck) I feel like that's money well spent, and I can always upgrade to disc brakes later if I feel the need. With axle prices in my area that's somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500 in parts including my upgrades. In your case considering you already have the 14 bolt and another $1500 to spend... I'd say you're on the right track. The only other thing I'll mention is that I strongly recommend budgeting to take it to a professional for the carrier and gear install if you're not experienced in that area.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
If it were me, i would sell you 14bolt and throw whatever posi/ locker you wanna run in the ss rear end you found. Then get the brackets for disc brakes and grab a set of dual piston calipers off a tahoe. That would probably be the cheaper route.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
If you have available to you a 14-bolt 5 lug out of an SS, I would probably be doing that. What posi are you thinking of putting in a? I'm a big fan of Eaton Truetrac, and I'm pretty sure they handle that hp just fine.

I will not be afraid to use a 12-bolt either, there's nothing wrong with them. In this case I would probably doing whichever of the two is quicker and cheaper with the materials I had available locally.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
14 bolt is 1 step above the 10 bolt, not 2 like it sounds like you are thinking. I'd slap the SS rear in there and call it a day.

DamHoodlum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well i fiddle farted around and let the SS14 bolt rear end get away. It was just to close to Christmas and it was 5 hours from me. I just couldn't get a road trip worked out before he sold it.

So Im back to the 10 bolt with new aftermarket posi & 3:90 or 4:10 gear or 14 bolt eaton style posi upgrade and 5 lug axle conversion and use the factory 3:73 gear.

I think i really want to do the 14 bolt but extra weight bothers me more than the extra cost does over the 10 bolt

Then again I over think too many things..............lol

Thanks

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In my honest opinion, don't waste your money building up the 10 bolt. I've learned my lesson on that with 4L60E transmissions. Sure there are guys running them pushing 800+ HP who claim to have no issues, but there's a whole lot more who have blown them up.

I wouldn't let the extra weight of the 14 bolt bother you, you won't notice it.

GreaseDog

Pickup Artist
Reaction score
If it were me, i would sell you 14bolt and throw whatever posi/ locker you wanna run in the ss rear end you found. Then get the brackets for disc brakes and grab a set of dual piston calipers off a tahoe. That would probably be the cheaper route.
I've got a 9.5 from a C2500, and an 8.5 from an 01 Tahoe. I'm thinking about putting the discs from the 8.5 on the 9.5... The thing that bothers me is the bigger brakes on the rear then. I may try to retrofit the knuckles from the Tahoe to my C1500. Have to get the Tahoe torn apart so that I can compare the knuckles side by side to see how much work I'm going to have to do before I decide.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a 9.5 from a C2500, and an 8.5 from an 01 Tahoe. I'm thinking about putting the discs from the 8.5 on the 9.5... The thing that bothers me is the bigger brakes on the rear then. I may try to retrofit the knuckles from the Tahoe to my C1500. Have to get the Tahoe torn apart so that I can compare the knuckles side by side to see how much work I'm going to have to do before I decide.

You're forgetting that the discs will be inherently less effective with the boost supplied to drums.