1 ton brake drum "catching"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Hi guys, Before I start taking it apart..What are some of the things I should look for on why the this brake drum catches? I believe I have the brake shoes adjusted inwards a lot..

Drum catching - YouTube

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Abs issue maybe? I know i had what i thought was drums catchin on escalade when i took it out for first spin after buyin it. Found receipt from previous owner of all new rears. Turned out abs was activatin on rear.

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sometimes the back of the shoes will wear into the backing plate and make a groove. then, they catch in the groove and cause tension on the drum. You can file down the groove and be alright of it isn't too bad... aside from that, replace the backing plate to solve it altogether. - if infact that was the issue... happened to 2 trucks I have had.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Abs issue maybe? I know i had what i thought was drums catchin on escalade when i took it out for first spin after buyin it. Found receipt from previous owner of all new rears. Turned out abs was activatin on rear.
Not likely, since he's turning the drum by hand with the axle jacked-up.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I re-did the drum brakes several years ago and haven't put any miles on the truck since then. I recall I had the same problem back then and moved on to other projects. The drums were new when installed but I understand sometimes they still need to machined to make them straight..

good tips.. I will start to remove the various components