1/2 ton to 1 ton?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
looking for some Advice or opinions

i have 2 GMC trucks
94 1/2 ton, short bed, 4x4, manual NV4500 with blown front axle
96 1 ton, parts truck, long bed, 4x4, automatic, blown transmission

idealy i wanted to do the 8 lug running gear under my short box frame, but searching around i see thats not possible, or atleast without alot of cutting and welding.

then i was thinking place my manual trans, and cab onto the long box frame, but that would require alot of time and work that i wouldnt particularly like to tackle at this time.

so im thinking the easiest thing i can do to get the short box truck going, is to swap out front axles.
can anyone tell me if the transfer cases/axles are the same from the shafts back? from 1/2 to 1 ton? from auto to manual?

or what would the more experienced guys on here do with whats provided?

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
This has been discussed quite a bit. Not worth it.

Sell both trucks, get a nice 1 ton. :)

Pyukon

Reaction score
Seems a trip to the junkyard (or finding someone parting one out) for the 1/2 ton front diff would be your cheapest and easiest route. Just be sure to get the correct gear ratio obviously.

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You should checkout the Powernation YouTube channel. They are doing an AWD conversation from a NBS Escalade to a OBS 1/2ton. Might give you some good ideas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are doing an AWD conversation from a NBS Escalade to a OBS 1/2ton
That was a couple years ago, it was called project "Red Tide" - an '88 K1500 with a 5.3 swap too. They put it up for sale last year, don't know if it sold yet.

Edit - BTW, he (LT) blew up the front end while testing it out.

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That was a couple years ago, it was called project "Red Tide" - an '88 K1500 with a 5.3 swap too. They put it up for sale last year, don't know if it sold yet...

They are just now uploading to YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk