Vortec 5700 Camshaft upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you shouldn't have any problems with the bottom end unless you're running some severe upgrades and higher than normal forced induction....I personally ran a supercharger at 6-8psi, cam, heads, custom intake, etc...on the stock bottom end without a problem...I know other guys running up to 15psi boost on stock bottom ends without problems...a simple cam/tune isn't going to be increasing the power enough to bend rods or anything like that...

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well in the end, I was going to run a procharger.

But before I go through and make final decisions to save up, I need to choose between upgrading what I have, or build myself a 454. I can probably find a bare block at the local junk yard for $100. Get it machined, then buy the parts. Then when I swap out the 350, I can keep it around a find myself something to put it in.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
even mild boost from a procharger would be fine. the SBC bottom ends are more stout than you'd expect.

wass

Reaction score
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-14097395/overview/make/chevrolet
Would this work in a stock Vortec 5700 (5.7l 350ci)? I know there will be more mods that will need to go with it like exhaust and maybe a CAI, but on the cam level, will that work?

That cam is the one GM uses in the Ram Jet and HT383 motors also the marine L31. Its the roller cam version of an RV cam. Iv installed them in stock motors, they work with factory tune. I have a K&N CAI with the shroud around the filter and could feel the power and throttle response. An old trick with the factory intake was to block off the silencer (the box that has VORTEC on it) with a coke can or spray paint lid. Free flowing exhaust allways helps.

wass

Reaction score
That cam is the one GM uses in the Ram Jet and HT383 motors also the marine L31. Its the roller cam version of an RV cam. Iv installed them in stock motors, they work with factory tune. I have a K&N CAI with the shroud around the filter and could feel the power and throttle response. An old trick with the factory intake was to block off the silencer (the box that has VORTEC on it) with a coke can or spray paint lid. Free flowing exhaust allways helps.

BTW... the Ram Jet uses this cam and 1.6 roller rockers with vortec heads. Someone check my math but the cam specs at .451 exhaust lift at the valve with 1.5 rocker ratio when I factor 1.6 rockers I get .481... GM lists max lift for these heads at .475... Iv never got a good solid answer for this. Anyway food for thought....

GMstrong

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
some people have bad luck i suppose,my vortec 350 is at 190k with no problems at all.i guess he is saying that because most people throw rods threw the oil pan because of the intake manifold gaskets going bad and the coolant spinning bearings and such.The crank,rods,pistons are all good strong parts.On ANY motor that has coolant in the oil will throw a rod or spin a bearing just a matter of time,keep an eye on the oil and coolant levels and the vortec 350 or any chevy motor will treat you well.proven fact.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd not be worried about the motor at all, but what's behind it, the transmission. Put money aside for a proper rebuild, or a 4L80E, NV4500 (if you don't have one already).

You do have a first generation small block Chevy in your truck. Even though it has a funky fuel system on it, it's still a world renowned SBC. If you can think it, it's been done to this engine. Your hardest part will be deciding what you want to do and forking over the cash for it.