Tried to polish my tail light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Took one of my tailights and spend 10 minutes on the bench grinder with a couple of different compounds and a soft wheel. Can you tell which one I polished and which one I left alone?

You must be registered for see images attach

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
Looks good if you wanna make her new too wetsand them 100 grit and then shoot some clear over them spray can clear will work fine for this

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks good if you wanna make her new too wetsand them 100 grit and then shoot some clear over them spray can clear will work fine for this

Yeah, I'm looking to replace these, but until then I may play around a little bit. I wonder if the wet sand w 100 grit would be worth doing. I almost think I'd be better off hitting them with a more coarse compound on the wheel. Although maybe the speed is too high for that.

Luke

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im guessing Deven meant 1000 grit or something around there, not 100. Some sanding with 100 grit and you will be buying new taillights. lol

And you polished the left side tail? It looks clearer. You could probably try a little bit more aggressive compound on it, but dont get too wild until you experiment with it a little.

Last edited:

Luke

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have some cheap aftermarket tails in mine from Keystone. Its kinda hard to tell in the pictures but they look really nice in person. My stock tails were old and hazy so I ordered these when we repainted the truck and Im really happy with them.

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is one nice looking truck...What type of headlights you have there???

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
oh yea sorry 1000 grit...you can got down 400 grit but I wouldnt recomend when I smoke the tails i used 400 to sand the letters off anything rougher than that is gonna show sand marks

The tails from keystone arent bad at all but I can get Depo tails for rt around 36-40 a set and I think Keystone wants around 50 a set iirc

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Luke, those tails look good. I'm shopping around for the right set of tails so this was just messing around. And yes, the left one is the one I was messing with.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I bought a new set off eBay with bulbs and boards for like $43 shipped, very pleased with them.