Trans Cooler Placment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
I have searched for a while to find where other OBS owners install a trans cooler. The owner before me put it between the grille and the ac condenser. It works fine until I go up to my cabin and start climbing hills. It's too close so the heat won't dissipate the heat. Any others on here running a trans cooler?

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Yeah I just put one in Saturday, that is where mine is. What do you mean by too close? Where else would you put it that would get airflow? The AC condensor doesn't get hot.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Check the plumbing on it; it should be after the radiator in terms of fluid flow, not before. The coolant in the radiator can actually warm up the trans fluid.

70stroker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have to dissagree with ya chris. All manufactures put it before the radiator in terms of flow. they do this because to cold of fluid will toast a trans also, the cooler should cool the fluid then in the radiator will warm it up slightly. this is how mine was factory and my trans lasted 203k before i had to pull it last weekend. thats also how i have my 70 with a 650 horsepower motor and have had the same trans for 50k with no issues.

Not trying to step on your toes at all chris, i respect and like everything you give to this community. Just stating what my degree has tought me.

Check the plumbing on it; it should be after the radiator in terms of fluid flow, not before. The coolant in the radiator can actually warm up the trans fluid.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have to dissagree with ya chris. All manufactures put it before the radiator in terms of flow. they do this because to cold of fluid will toast a trans also, the cooler should cool the fluid then in the radiator will warm it up slightly. this is how mine was factory and my trans lasted 203k before i had to pull it last weekend. thats also how i have my 70 with a 650 horsepower motor and have had the same trans for 50k with no issues.

Not trying to step on your toes at all chris, i respect and like everything you give to this community. Just stating what my degree has tought me.

This is what I have always been told also, and how I plumbed mine up on my '78.....

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
You may think that, but the top line on the radiator is the return line, not the bottom one. Lots of people on FSC confirmed their NBS's and NNBS's are set up with the cooler after the radiator in terms of flow. Plus it very, very rarely drops below 20* F here in the coldest of winters.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting, sounds like it isn't going to hurt anything either way. Down here in the south anyways lol...

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Okay I know what lines are what and all it's just the previous owner only rant he cooler and not even the stock cooler. So sounds like I need to hook it back up to the radiator

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
As far as space goes I'll take a picture and show you how it is right up against the ac so I didn't think air could pass through as well