torque converter to fly wheel questions..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevy89

Reaction score
i just recently had my 700r tranny rebuilt to go back up in my 89 chevy 350. when installin the tranny i had it jacked up and on both pegs of the motor block with the jack and both pegs supporttin the tranny. i went ahead and hand tightened the bolts from the flywheel to the torque converter before i put the bellhousing bolts in. prior to puttin the bell housin bolts in i could spin the flywheel by hand. after i put the bell housin bolts in i went back to tighten the flywheel/torque converter bolts. i was able to tightin the first 2 torque converter bolts very easily. i would tightin them to where it would turn the flywheel(the drive) enough to get to the next bolt hole. i tightened the 2nd bolt so it would spin the flywheel enough so i could get to the 3rd(last) bolt. but after tightenin the last torque converter bolt i couldnt get the flywheel or torque converter to spin anymore like it done when i tightened the first 2 bolts up, like it somehow might be bound up but everythang is inline and went back together perfectly. the bellhousin in flush with the back of motor block too. im just havin trouble gettin the flywheel and torque converter to spin. i was able to spin it by hand when i was droppin the tranny to have it rebuilt. could the motor be on a compression stroke keepin it from spinnin anymore?? there also wasnt any gap between the flywheel and torque converter and i dont really kno what the proper gap should be there between the flywheel and torque converter. any advice would be greatly appreciated fellas...

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You dont want to pull the converter to the flywheel. If there is more than 1/8" gap between the two then you need some washers. Nevermind trying to turn that crank from a flywheel bolt. If your motor makes any good compression then it will be hard to turn. Turn it at the crank pulley bllt and if everything rotates around then your still good. And I would install those flywheel bolts with some loctite

chevy89

Reaction score
I actually didnt have to pull the converter forward at all when I installed it. It was touchin the flywheel already but had enough play that I could turn it to match flywheel holes. I dropped the tranny again this evenin and believe I might of got another lock from the converter onto the trannyshaft. It got too late so I'm gonna have to try to put her back up in tomorrow evenin.

Last edited:

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would hold up. Your best bet as of now is to pull the pump back out and make sure the pump gear isn't damaged. When installing, bolt the transmission to the block before you put any converter bolts in. After all of your bellhousing bolts are in, then the converter should be 1/8-1/4 inch away from the flywheel.