swapping 4 speed for a 5 speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

midnightblue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i know next to nothing about transmissions, and what fits what. i currently have a 91 chevy 454. its the 2500 and it had a 4 speed in it. i would like to have an over drive gear and a 5 speed would be nice. its turning about 3200 to do 75 mph. could i just find a 5 speed out of a newer chev like a 97 and just drop it right in?

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
i know next to nothing about transmissions, and what fits what. i currently have a 91 chevy 454. its the 2500 and it had a 4 speed in it. i would like to have an over drive gear and a 5 speed would be nice. its turning about 3200 to do 75 mph. could i just find a 5 speed out of a newer chev like a 97 and just drop it right in?

well pilgrim it aint that easy, but it is! first off what you want is a NV4500, that is basicly a cast iron 4 speed with an aluminum OD unit built on the back. Caution it uses "special" gear lube available only at GM and Dodge. the length will be longer, so a new drive shaft will be needed or shortn yours. I do not know the particulars of the clutch workings, but if yours is a hydraulic unit it should work??? other than that Git-R-Done P.S. stay away from the NV3500 it is a POS all alum case, and it cannot take the abuse of a 4.3l v6:gr_grin::gr_grin:

Gravemaker

Reaction score
well pilgrim it aint that easy, but it is! first off what you want is a NV4500, that is basicly a cast iron 4 speed with an aluminum OD unit built on the back. Caution it uses "special" gear lube available only at GM and Dodge. the length will be longer, so a new drive shaft will be needed or shortn yours. I do not know the particulars of the clutch workings, but if yours is a hydraulic unit it should work??? other than that Git-R-Done P.S. stay away from the NV3500 it is a POS all alum case, and it cannot take the abuse of a 4.3l v6:gr_grin::gr_grin:

i currently have a NV3500 in my 1989 1500 2wd. its behind a 1965 396 BBC i installed and put a centerforce 2 clutch between it and it has taken many 5000rpm drops just fine. rear end is not happy though!lol

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd have to disagree also. The NV3500 that was in my old GMC survived being thrashed daily as a farm truck for nearly 2 decades, and 255K. It did WAY more than a transmission (and truck) should ever be asked to do, and there were never any issues. The fluid was still original at 255K when it was sold also.