Rotor failed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PrunetuckyMuddin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well my brakes went out Sunday and I finally had time today to take my front wheels off to take a look. I took my right front off and the rotor had broke, there was no rotor at all. The driver side is warn out too. So I'm thinking that I need rotors, calipers, and pads. What else do I need? And how hard is it to swap rotors and calipers?

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
Front brakes are easy. Take the caliper off. Slide off the rotor. Put new rotor on. Fill new caliper with pads, and stick onto rotor and bolt back on. Bleed brakes. Good to go.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
lol wtf! So your saying it broke and fell off????? how the hell were you driving? If your braking system is in that kind of condition, then yes I would replace it all fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, pads...etc.

Since you need new everything i would do the upgrade to 2500 calipers and rotors....check out the sticky in axles and brakes.

PrunetuckyMuddin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I knew it was bad, for the last month my front right has been squeaking so I just thought it was the caliper leaking and was gona fix it during spring break, but it didn't make it that far

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Josh, it's a 4x4

okay, pretty simple to change the rotors and calipers.

1. take off wheel
2. unbolt caliper using 3/8 allen head
3. undo the banjo bolt on the back of the caliper to take hose off, i THINK its a 7/16
4. take new caliper and bolt the brake hose to new caliper using the new copper gaskets
5. pop in brake pads
6. slip off old rotor
7. slip on new rotor
8. bolt caliper back on
9. repeat other side
10. bleed brakes

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does a rotor fail? I have seen them wore down to the point of the cooling fins showing but never breaking.

Sent from somewhere in MN

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
I have seen one that had basically exploded before, not sure how it does it but ive atleast seen it

PrunetuckyMuddin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya, I was shocked too when I pulled my wheel off and it looked like it exploded, I've never heard of it happening before and I asked my dad and he sad he's never heard it happening before. Anyways whats my part list for this? Other than the obvious: pads, calipers, and rotors.