Rear end hop under normal breaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello, in my 95 1500 single cab long box, the rear end hops under normal breaking at about 45 mph.

My plans are as follows.
1)replace wheel cylinders with one ton dually. I've had both side by side and they'll fit, the one ton just has a larger bore.
Paint the backing plate and drum(after turning it)
2)Replace front calipers with 3/4 ton, 8600 gvw calipers. Turn rotors. Paint new calipers.
3)braided lines.

I'm sure I'm going to get weird looks buying 1 ton wheel cylinders, 3/4 ton calipers and 1/2 ton pads.

Other than what I've covered, what do you think could cause the axle hop? I've replaced all four shocks with Monroe gas magnum's

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
1)replace wheel cylinders with one ton dually. I've had both side by side and they'll fit, the one ton just has a larger bore.

DRW and SRW 1-ton wheel cylinders have different threads for the lines according to the info I see on Rockauto. I was looking at parts listed for a 99, so it's possible that GM used the same threads for both in earlier years. I think one was metric, and one was SAE.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
DRW and SRW 1-ton wheel cylinders have different threads for the lines according to the info I see on Rockauto. I was looking at parts listed for a 99, so it's possible that GM used the same threads for both in earlier years. I think one was metric, and one was SAE.
I didn't check the threads. I was told the 1 ton drw was a bolt up replacement for 1500/2500's. I didn't check the threads. Was that the bolt threads or the line threads?

98silveraydo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine was because of the rotors being warped. Also wheels being on too tight

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I took the drums down to get turned while I was going to swap wheel cylinders. The line fitting is the same size, but the hole in the backing plate of the 1 ton drw is smaller, and the cylinders must be mounted at the bottom. I'm debating whether it's worth it to drill holes for the new cylinder, or just keep the old ones.

I just got a call from the parts store... My drums are too warped to turn. That explains a lot

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you've been dealing with warped drums, I think just putting it back to factory will be a night and day difference. I did all new brakes a while back and kept it stock, if properly maintained they aren't THAT bad.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I just exchanged them for the proper ones, hopefully my 8600gvw 2500 calipers fit. I've been told they do.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have a brake problem you first need to diagnos the problem. You have done that by finding out the drums are warped. By changing to different parts that don't belong on your truck you are creating problems that will need to be sorted out. Different bores in the wheel cylinders will need different master cylinders and/or proportioning valves.

I have a 1500 with all stock brakes that are working correctly and tow a couple different trailers up to 2500 lbs. with no problems stopping as long as I drive like I am towing a trailer.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like warped drums were your hopping problems. 8600 GVW calipers up front will help with stopping power though, so you may be killing 2 birds with 2 stones here.