questions on wiring up a motor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcarlson

Reaction score
Its been sometime since I messed around with wiring a motor so I have a few questions that im not to sure on. But here it goes.

So im taking a 99 vortec 350 in a 99 gmc c2500 crew cab and converting it to carb and going to remove all aspects of factory engine wiring for motor control (maybe, depands on what gets discused. Lol). Please for the sake of keeping this tech/info oriented do not tell me efi is better why get rid of it, I do plan on going back to efi via. Msd holley or fast. But anyways im trying to figure out how to bypass the computer so to speak and go directly to the fusebox. If that makes sense? With stuff like ignition, spark, changing. Als ok does anybody know how I can use the factory dash gauges to the sensor on the motor? And get a correct return signal to the the gague? Not sure what I asked makes sense. I would not like to buy a wire harness either.

Please if you know of good links to other sites or threads on formuns please post them! Love reading, plus usualy theres more information in them then one expects lol.

Thank you to all who can get me pointed in the right direction.

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
you would need the computer to run the gauges. you could always remove parts of the factory wiring harness and get those parts tuned out of the factory setup to run carb while retaining factory gauges.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I swapped in my 383 carbed stroker I did away with all the electronics. If I was to do it again I would probably go fuel injection without even thinking about a carb. It is so much work to get everything to work. As soon as that computer is gone, the gauges will not work, your ac will not work, as well as some other stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcarlson

Reaction score
Alright, now with triming stuff off the harness will the computer still work if most everything is removed? So maybe just take my universal 21 circuit wiring harness and throw that in and buy gauges?

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It depends what you trim out of the harness. You would be surprised how little you can take out of the harness and the computer will stop working. One sensor that is unplugged even something as small as a coolant temp sensor. You can throw in your universal harness but it's going to be a lot of splicing in your old harness to get it to somewhat work

mcarlson

Reaction score
Well ifbi use the universal im just gonna remove all of the factory then! Lol just gonna make this coming weekend longer if my summit order gets here on time. Hey polar how do you like the eztcu trans controler? That will be on its way. Any advice on installing it?

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well if you use all the universal one your ac will not work at all. The ac is integrated into the ECM big time. You will have to get some sensors for the ports as well as some relays to trick the ECM into believing it has certain pressures as well as signals. I personally love the trans controller. As long as you have a tps set up on the carb it will basically plug in. The only thing I don't like about it is that the wiring harness is huge. I just want to make myself clear. Getting rid of the computer and getting it to run is not for the average person. If I was to do it all over again, I would have went straight to an aftermarket injection. Doing everything that I have done to the truck was a very long and tedious process. Between my dad and I we probably spent close to 100 hours tracing wires and problem solving

mcarlson

Reaction score
Got the tps sensor, and im just gonna wire it up like a old hot rod. And what is this ac thing you speak of lol! Cause the way I look at it thats all im doing but using a 99 c2500 crew cab as the platform, now I need to get the basic gauges for now. Lol