PROJECT: BARN FIND

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
If the pin with the roller is all you need, it can be changed. My truck needs both of them. Will probably get changed this weekend when i change the doors. Easiest way to go about this is to cut the top off it with a grinder and punch it out. Do the same to a junkyard hinge with a good roller on it, drive the pin back in it, and a small tack weld on the top of the pin to keep it in place. And yes, i would suggest taking the door off.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It all depends on what is actually wrong with your door. The pic you posted makes it really hard to actually see, looks like it could just be the roller and spring. Might just be able to bend roller back and then replace the spring (the S shaped thingamabob). Yeah, real technical wording, I know.
If thats the biggest problem you have then you found a good deal!

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
ok FIRST,,thanks for your time and replies,,
it seems the pin is broken off,,snapped clean,,im not proficient at body work of any sort,,but do have a way to source that out. ill probably have both sides done just for piece of mind. will most likely wait till paint time.
thanks again for your time,,it means alot.

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
FIRST MOD

Hi yall,, thinking bout my first mod this weekend,,this thing is bone stock,and its a lil,,ummm,,,slow. Im gonna eventually run 2.5 inch duals with some decent mufflers,,dumped at the axle,,:Big Laugh:but for now,,,im thinking bout a single flowmaster set up,,it has the factory y pipe,,no cat,,with some sort of aftermarket muffler,,sounds like crap,,
i do have a 2.5 inch 40 series and a k&n air filter,,,i been reading up on the tbi mods as well..are they really worth the trouble to do??
this weekend i plan,,,
new plugs -- autolite #25
change oil,,bump timing up 4*
and look for a decent set of seats,,,thanks for your time and replies

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
FIRST MOD

Hi yall,, thinking bout my first mod this weekend,,this thing is bone stock,and its a lil,,ummm,,,slow. Im gonna eventually run 2.5 inch duals with some decent mufflers,,dumped at the axle,,:Big Laugh:but for now,,,im thinking bout a single flowmaster set up,,it has the factory y pipe,,no cat,,with some sort of aftermarket muffler,,sounds like crap,,
i do have a 2.5 inch 40 series and a k&n air filter,,,i been reading up on the tbi mods as well..are they really worth the trouble to do??
this weekend i plan,,,
new plugs -- autolite #25
change oil,,bump timing up 4*
and look for a decent set of seats,,,thanks for your time and replies

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
not much to report,,,went to pick n pull ,, got a new cig lighter and ashtray,,now i can charge my phone and plug in my inverter,,gonna bump the timing up to +*4b..this thing is so slow,,,compared to my elcamino I sold,,still no regrets,,more to come,,exhaust and a k&n filter for sure

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
today we set the timing( my wife is my pit crew) set it to about 5/6*btdc,,compared to the what had to be 20*btdc,,this thing runs great now,,,will smoke the rear tires from a dead stop,,no power brake required,,i cant believe the difference,,next mission is to find out why the gas gauge stopped working,,it had been replaced by a shop in april 2013,,but has been driven less then 400 miles since,,i called the shop who did the work,,needless o say,,i havent heard back from them,,anyone know where the harness runs,,i looked and didnt see it ,,idid try the search feature on this forum but not much specific direction,..any help is greatly appreciated,,,cheers,,,

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can go up to about 8 deg on your timing. Any more will make it hard to start hot. Im surprised it started at all at 20+.

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
thanks for the reply,, it started and ran,,but it always felt like it was being held back,, i guess the ecm was pulling timing out,,it runs much better now,,cheers,,,

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
NEW WHEELS SOON,,,,,,scored some NBS 16 aluminum rims on craigslist,,,,headed to Louisiana on saturday afternoon,,will be about a 300 mile round trip...good chance to blow the soot out of ol barn find,,,the wheels look like these on this for sale ad 16" wheels off NBS Z71
here is the link,,,what do you guys think???????????

http://shreveport.craigslist.org/pts/4392310187.html

Last edited: