problems with front differential and hooking up 4WD.. NEED ADVICE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benjaminbarton55

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Earlier this year, I found out my truck would not pass PA State inspection due to the condition of the frame. Knowing this, I decided to swap the frame. The truck was my dads and the interior was in mint condition. The engine and tranny had low mileage. Plus it just had too much sentimental value. And Since it couldnt pass inpection, and the frame was junk, I figured that I'd have better at buying a new frame, and doing a complete swap of body and engine than buying a nice truck to have to money into anyhow. Any ways, I found a 96 with a great frame to set under my 98.

Everything worked out well. Except for one thing.

It wasn't until after the job being almost completley finished, did I realize that the 4WD connector from my 98's wiring harness didn't fit into the new front axle.

My question is, does anyone know some way to resolve this? I really dont want to put a front axle under it.. is there any way to change the sensor to engage the 4wd?

Any helpful advice would really be appreciated. Thanks!

-Ben

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your 98 should have the electronic servo actuator and the 96 has the thermal. If you don't want to swap axles, or buy a thermal actuator upgrade kit (approx 110 bucks) just for a steel spacer, your other choice is to cut up your wiring harness to work with it and have the slow engagement of the thermal.