Pesky coolant leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have this coolant leak and it’s hard to find, when the truck was my moms she took it in and had it worked on by a professional and he replaced the lower radiator hose, it’s still leaking though, almost like it’s from the top of the radiator and it leaks down, I’ve tightened the lower hose a little bit and the metal lines running on the side of the radiator. When you look in the radiator you can kinda see some coils. The overflow tank is right in the middle. I’m just not sure what is leaking. Passenger side is the one leaking. Thanks

Lanny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be a crack somewhere in the rad. If you cant see where its coming from but youre sure its from the rad just pull it. Not the hardest job and youll be able to find the source easier.

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be a crack somewhere in the rad. If you cant see where its coming from but youre sure its from the rad just pull it. Not the hardest job and youll be able to find the source easier.
Its a relatively new rad. but I may do it anyway.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My tank on the driver side started seeping and it was not visible but running down and dripping. And when driving would blow a little back on the inner fender. I am happy to say after a new radiator and new intake gaskets I am finally breathing a sigh of relief from coolant leaks .

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably the radiator itself. It's a common issue on radiators with plastic reservoirs. Alot of times you can't see where the leak is because the crack is between the tank and the rad or it only opens up enough for coolant to flow through when it is really hot. You can get all aluminum radiators for these trucks but it isn't cheap.

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably the radiator itself. It's a common issue on radiators with plastic reservoirs. Alot of times you can't see where the leak is because the crack is between the tank and the rad or it only opens up enough for coolant to flow through when it is really hot. You can get all aluminum radiators for these trucks but it isn't cheap.
I guess I'll just have to save up some. I have a friend whos a mechanic, maybe I'll see what he says as well.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A pressure test should show the leaks. You can rent a test kit at a parts store. Pump it to 15-psi or so and see if it holds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I noticed you said the rad was fairly new. Before you go too crazy, check and see if you have this capped off port right below the cap.

You must be registered for see images

It isn't used in some of these trucks, hence the rubber cap there. The issue is that the caps degrade over time and start leaking slowly. You can replace it with a silicone cap that won't fail for pretty cheap.

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I noticed you said the rad was fairly new. Before you go too crazy, check and see if you have this capped off port right below the cap.

It isn't used in some of these trucks, hence the rubber cap there. The issue is that the caps degrade over time and start leaking slowly. You can replace it with a silicone cap that won't fail for pretty cheap.

This ^^. My cap started leaking 2 years after installing my new “premium” spectera radiator. I emailed them and they sent 2 new caps free of charge. Radiator has been great (5 years now) 2nd cap is still holding up but this post reminds me to give it a once over.

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A pressure test should show the leaks. You can rent a test kit at a parts store. Pump it to 15-psi or so and see if it holds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will do that.

I don't have one of those,