Odd Oil/Fluid Leak.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all,
'97 K3500 Chevy 7.4 dually 4X4.
I have an odd leak I am trying to track down. It shows on the driveway in the general location of the power steering pump.
Now, the odd part. If I start the truck and let it idle for 15 minutes or more I get a puddle of what is an oily fluid.
I have smelled and touched. I can't tell if it is transmission or power steering. I don't think it is oil since it is pretty clear but the oil is also light honey colored.
It has a faint smell like transmission but I can't detect any red tint.
Now, if I start the truck, leave and drive wherever, come home and park it there is no leak or puddle formed. It only seems to do it if I just let it sit idling.
It forms a pretty good sized puddle. Maybe 6 inches in diameter roughly. I am watching fluids but so far none are showing low.

Thanks for any ideas why it may leak while sitting but not after driving.

You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sure looks like power steering. PS fluid can be almost clear, and turn yellowish as it ages. Could be ether the PS pump, or steering gear box leaking. That's the location of where you are seeing oil, anyway. You could clean everything with brake parts cleaner, and check it again in a day or so. A clean PS pump, and steering gear box, will show a leak, better than one that is all gunked up with old oil, dirt, ECT.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did an initial clean from the top side. Really need to get underneath and pressure wash it.
Steering fluid is new and clear but has yet to go down. The stain also is in that area but a little more forward. Sort of under that end of the radiator where the oil cooling lines go in.
Steering is what makes sense at this point.
What is odd though is why it leaks if left idling for some time but not if driven and then parked.
The picture is one leak the other day. It is a large amount that leaks.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where is your coolant overflow hose directed? I'll bet it's getting a little warm idling that long and dumping coolant.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can eliminate the cooling system, by doing a pressure test. You can rent ( for free once returned) a tester at AutoZone. This has to be done when the engine is cool. It's a simple process. Just remove the radiator cap, install the tester, and pump up the system. If there is a leak, the pressure test will make it show. About 15 PSI is about all the pressure it takes. As for a PS leak, if you get someone to turn the steering wheel back and forth while your under the truck watching the PS pump, and gear box, you should be able to see a leak. With the engine running, the truck in P, the force it takes to move the tires back and forth, from lock, to lock, is about the Max pressure the system will see. So, if there is a leak, you should be able to see it. As for not loosing fluid, well it doesn't take much to mark up a drive way. A few table spoons will leave a puddle, but you won't really see that on your PS dip stick.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Where is your coolant overflow hose directed? I'll bet it's getting a little warm idling that long and dumping coolant.
Co
Coolant over flow, should be on the passengers side, not the driver's side.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can eliminate the cooling system, by doing a pressure test. You can rent ( for free once returned) a tester at AutoZone. This has to be done when the engine is cool. It's a simple process. Just remove the radiator cap, install the tester, and pump up the system. If there is a leak, the pressure test will make it show. About 15 PSI is about all the pressure it takes. As for a PS leak, if you get someone to turn the steering wheel back and forth while your under the truck watching the PS pump, and gear box, you should be able to see a leak. With the engine running, the truck in P, the force it takes to move the tires back and forth, from lock, to lock, is about the Max pressure the system will see. So, if there is a leak, you should be able to see it. As for not loosing fluid, well it doesn't take much to mark up a drive way. A few table spoons will leave a puddle, but you won't really see that on your PS dip stick.
I've got a tester and will do that to hopefully eliminate as a source. Should have thought of that.
Agree on the amount may look big but in reality isn't.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll check that but it is on the other side of the truck and has the recovery tank by the firewall.
Yes. You do have a drain petcock on that side though. It would be at the bottom of the radiator.