No speedometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 88 silverado , 350 engine , my speedo works sometimes and sometimes does not . Suggetested to me to pull the gage cluster and check the grounds . WHAT grounds ? It is all solid state there with no obvious ground wires . It's been doing this for years , I've replaced parts and have had the trasmission completely rebuilt but nothing has fixed the speedo . I'm not going to spend the money to have my gage cluster repaired , it just isn't worth it . Any clues ,
I have an '88, spent a few years on and off trying to figure out my intermittent speedometer. Worked...didn't work. Worked again. Totally random. Totally unpredictable. I could sometimes get the speedo to come back to life by smacking the instrument cluster housing.

When my speedo quit, the odometer quit, the ABS quit, the cruise control quit. All at once, all together.

Replaced speed sensor. No difference. Replaced speedometer. No difference.

Eventually, I replaced the instrument cluster BEHIND the speedometer. Fixed.

35olds

Reaction score
what does something like that cost ? It could be cost prohibitive .I replaced speed sencor once and that fixed it for months now it is doing again , intermitent .

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That’s some good info. I did a quick check of the wires, plug etc everything looked normal. Iv been waiting for it to act up again but it hasn’t.

Soon as the rain dried up it was fine. My wife did inform me that the window was left down while it was raining (my fault) and it acted up about the same time. I’m going to write it off as a moisture issue for now, I know it’s still an issue but untill it’s a bigger issue I’ll keep an eye on it.

one thing I have noticed and want to check is the grounds. I noticed the dash lights on my dads 97 k2500 are a lot brighter than mine. And from time to time I get issues with the turn signals stop clicking or slow down and do various weird things. Which makes sense too with the moisture

does anyone know where the grounds/connections are for the gauges?

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That’s some good info. I did a quick check of the wires, plug etc everything looked normal. Iv been waiting for it to act up again but it hasn’t.

Soon as the rain dried up it was fine. My wife did inform me that the window was left down while it was raining (my fault) and it acted up about the same time. I’m going to write it off as a moisture issue for now, I know it’s still an issue but untill it’s a bigger issue I’ll keep an eye on it.

one thing I have noticed and want to check is the grounds. I noticed the dash lights on my dads 97 k2500 are a lot brighter than mine. And from time to time I get issues with the turn signals stop clicking or slow down and do various weird things. Which makes sense too with the moisture

does anyone know where the grounds/connections are for the gauges?

I think the dash ground is on the bottom left on the bar that goes across the bottom of the dash.