No 4hi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mitten400

Reaction score
Hi all.

Truck:
1998 1ton with floor shift. Auto transmission.

Problem:
My front diff actuator will not engage when in 4hi.

Verified:
Everything works fine in 4lo and 2hi
T-case engages in 4hi but does not send signal to diff motor. T-case engages in 4hi and turns front driveshaft as designed. The 3 wire t-case switch was melted and unplugged when I got the truck (just bought it). I I stalled a new switch already.

I also pulled the entire harness out of the truck and it’s fine.

I also took the switch back out and held a small screwdriver in the hole and felt it get pushed towards me when I shifted into 4hi so it feels like The t-case is touching the switch.

why am I not getting ground to the front diff motor?

move tried everything I can think of.

mitten400

Reaction score
It's been a while since I owned my 91 with manual T-case, but doesn't the shift lever have contacts under the floor console?
Sorry I forgot to update with my fix. It was indeed the t-case switch not getting pushed in by the lever inside the t-case. I took the o-ring off, really tightened the threads and now it is making contact in 4hi. I’m assuming the mechanism inside the t-case is worn out and sloppy

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry I forgot to update with my fix. It was indeed the t-case switch not getting pushed in by the lever inside the t-case. I took the o-ring off, really tightened the threads and now it is making contact in 4hi. I’m assuming the mechanism inside the t-case is worn out and sloppy

Ok, then I was wrong, the switch is indeed inside the t-case. Glad you successfully deciphered it.