Newbie from Glendale, AZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone, my name is Bryant and as my user name says I have a 1997 K1500 Z71. I own 3 generations of Chevy trucks, also have a 1971 C20 long bed and a 1976 K20 long bed all powered by the 5.7. I posted a question in the electronics section about my remote start I just finished installing if anyone can help please let me know. Thank You

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, I havn't done a remote in on of these trucks so can't help. Does it get that cold in Glendale?

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, I havn't done a remote in on of these trucks so can't help. Does it get that cold in Glendale?

It doesn't get that cold but in the summer it gets that hot! My factory alarm remote range was less than 10ft. Anyway so it was time for an upgrade and remote start is a nice convenience feature so I figure why not

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have had my 97 Silverado, sense 2004. I had a Python alarm installed in the truck in about 2006. The key fob quit on me last year, ( tried a new battery but no go). So I figured I would replace the Python alarm with a Viper alarm. I ordered it from Amazon. Sense there was already an alarm in the truck the install was simple enough. Once I removed the alarm ECM, I compared the old alarm ECM to the new alarm ECM. Well turns out that Viper makes Python. The new system was an updated version of what I had in the truck before. Perfect. An easy swap. I thought about a remote start, but decided I did not need one. It doesn't get cold here much, and when it does, it doesn't last more that a few days. I know the key fob range a long, maybe 1500 feet IDK. I just wanted the alarm for the key less entry, but it has prevented a brake in several times before. I don't live in a bad area, but there are those that will get into your vehicle at night and see what they can steel. The alarm has tripped maybe 4 or 5 times sense 2006 for no reason other that someone messing with my truck.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It doesn't get that cold but in the summer it gets that hot! My factory alarm remote range was less than 10ft. Anyway so it was time for an upgrade and remote start is a nice convenience feature so I figure why not

I guess going out to a truck in over 100 degree heat would be worse than a cold one. But at least your doors don't freeze shut.

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess going out to a truck in over 100 degree heat would be worse than a cold one. But at least your doors don't freeze shut.

Very true, my doors most definitely do not freeze shut, well not in town anyway.

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had my 97 Silverado, sense 2004. I had a Python alarm installed in the truck in about 2006. The key fob quit on me last year, ( tried a new battery but no go). So I figured I would replace the Python alarm with a Viper alarm. I ordered it from Amazon. Sense there was already an alarm in the truck the install was simple enough. Once I removed the alarm ECM, I compared the old alarm ECM to the new alarm ECM. Well turns out that Viper makes Python. The new system was an updated version of what I had in the truck before. Perfect. An easy swap. I thought about a remote start, but decided I did not need one. It doesn't get cold here much, and when it does, it doesn't last more that a few days. I know the key fob range a long, maybe 1500 feet IDK. I just wanted the alarm for the key less entry, but it has prevented a brake in several times before. I don't live in a bad area, but there are those that will get into your vehicle at night and see what they can steel. The alarm has tripped maybe 4 or 5 times sense 2006 for no reason other that someone messing with my truck.

DEI makes a lot of different name suystems, I knew this and was hoping the main harness would be the same, I guess 14+ years of technology changed it. My truck has factory keyless entry so I just ended up installing this new system next to it so I ended up doing a full install. On the bright side it gave me the opportunity to solder and heat shrink every connection, down side, my truck was down and torn apart for 3 days. A lot of extra wires and stuff to deal with on these new systems with remote start.