New sending unit problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tried posting this in electronics but had no luck with an answer so I'll try here. I bought a new fuel sending unit and ever since its been installed, I haven't had an accurate reading on my gauge, actually not even close. The gauge reads way below empty even with 17 gallons in the tank (most I've put in since replacing the unit). It bounced around a little bit still didn't bounce anywhere past empty. I thought it was a ground issue bc before it was spinning and doing 360 degree rotations sporadically. Ground off the rusted steel on the frame to improve ground and now I'm left with the below empty reading. It's a cheap brand sending unit from autozone. I would like to go AC delco if it they weren't over 200 dollars. Any ideas or past experiences before I drop the fuel tank once again to return this unit? Thanks. Sorry for the double post, just not trying to be stranded on the side of the road during a snowstorm like i was a few weeks ago bc I have no idea how much fuel is actually in my tank haha.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The price on some oem parts makes me cringe too, but the cheaper something is the lower the quality(most cases). I would pull it out and get a different brand. Out of curiosity what was the reason for replacing the original sending unit? Same problem? Or was it the sending unit + fuel pump for a failed pump?

Sent from my throttle body injected galaxy note3

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Typically I will spend the extra buck for the better quality part. Saves from future headaches. Clear example now of you get what you pay for. I was forced to replace the old one due to a small pinhole formed in the steel lines on the old unit.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hear ya. If the gauge worked with the old unit but not with the new then yard that autozone unit outta there.

I bought a cheap wiper motor/ pulse board for my truck and it sucks.. Doesn't operate like the oem. Lesson learned aswell.

Ever kick around the idea of putting a fuel pump access door in your bed?

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hear ya. If the gauge worked with the old unit but not with the new then yard that autozone unit outta there.

I bought a cheap wiper motor/ pulse board for my truck and it sucks.. Doesn't operate like the oem. Lesson learned aswell.

Ever kick around the idea of putting a fuel pump access door in your bed?

I haves and really like the idea but realized that its not that bad dropping my tank with the lift and body lift. I'm able to sit on my knees and fully reach in on top of the tank to crank loose the lines with ease. While the door would be the easiest route since I still have to drop the tank a little to pull the unit out, i just don't see the use in it when I'm hoping to only have to change a pump or sending unit every so many years. Which is why I probably should have spent the extra money on the delco unt in the first place but I was too concerned with my wallet at the time

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So turns out it wasn't the new sending unit. Dropped out tank, put in new unit and still same problem. Removed the gauge cluster and pulled the gas gauge needle and powered on the truck so the motor for the gauge settled and reinstalled the needle at empty. Everything works great now. Wish I thought of this before.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aww. Wonder why the gauge needle was messed up? Glad it's fixed, sorry you had to drop the tank again.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Idk man but just glad I got it fixed. May be a blessing in disguise bc I swapped it out for what I think is a little better unit. Anyway thanks for the help.

wildncrazyguy

Reaction score
So turns out it wasn't the new sending unit. Dropped out tank, put in new unit and still same problem. Removed the gauge cluster and pulled the gas gauge needle and powered on the truck so the motor for the gauge settled and reinstalled the needle at empty. Everything works great now. Wish I thought of this before.

Wonder if I can do this pulling the needle while the tank is partially full? My gas needle does the "wild thing" when turning on the vehicle. As in it pegs back and forth and around a couple or three times, then settles in at approximately the actual level of the tank. Start the truck and it is probably close to the actual level, but I don't trust it much. It just gives me a general idea of the level in the tank. All other gauges seem trustworthy and function properly. Gas gauge does slightly fluctuate at times, but as stated, in the general tank level location. Seems to be worse when the tank is more emptier I guess. Just curious if the ******* at key turn on could be fixed by pulling the needle and letting it settle as you did, then reattaching or maybe another issue. Thoughts?

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wonder if I can do this pulling the needle while the tank is partially full? My gas needle does the "wild thing" when turning on the vehicle. As in it pegs back and forth and around a couple or three times, then settles in at approximately the actual level of the tank. Start the truck and it is probably close to the actual level, but I don't trust it much. It just gives me a general idea of the level in the tank. All other gauges seem trustworthy and function properly. Gas gauge does slightly fluctuate at times, but as stated, in the general tank level location. Seems to be worse when the tank is more emptier I guess. Just curious if the ******* at key turn on could be fixed by pulling the needle and letting it settle as you did, then reattaching or maybe another issue. Thoughts?

Well I noticed with this sending unit my gauge bounces around a lot more than before, but it's only while I'm moving. I'm going to try the fix with the syringe and rc oil as stated in another thread on this site. I personally would wait in till you know your tank is just about empty, that way you can pull the needle and reattach and know for sure that it's an accurate reading and then go from there. When I pulled and reattached, I hadn't put the sending unit in the tank yet so I knew 100% that it was sitting at bottom line empty. If it's bouncing around before your even moving though it sounds more like the signal is shorted in someway being ground or frayed wire. Maybe someone else here can chime in.