New SAS Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigred92chev

Reaction score
I got the Front axle for my 92 k1500 this weekend. i got it free its a driver side drop with a 6 bolt axle shafts 10 bolt housing. Don't know what it was out of but has new axle shafts, hubs, and diff in it. The spring pads have to be moved outward about an in" or less.
What shocks would you guys recommend for a 4 in lift and was wondering how you think it would look with the 33 i have right now for it.
hoping to start this spring on it want to get every thing ready so on one weekend all i have to do is cut weld and put the whole thing in. Any tips or tool that would make it easer would help thanks.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
First off have you ever done an axle swap? You think that you will be able to get it done in one weekend but even if you have everything then you will still have a few unexpected things pop up that'll leave it down longer. If you have done it before then you may be able to get it done completely in one weekend though.
I am not sure on what axle you have but it would probably be best to know so that you can be able to order parts and gears because more than likely it does not match your rear end.
You say you need to move the perches, why? What is the current spring pad width? And is the axle even a full width axle or is it going to be too skinny for the front end.
If you only want 4 inches of lift and 33s then get a regular suspension lift. With 4 inches you are not going to have any uptravel hardly which would completely make doing the whole swap almost useless.
What bracket kit are you going to use? Most of the kits give you 3-4 inches of lift with just the brackets.
Just think hard if you really need to do this swap or not because after you get them on there they are never really done.

bigred92chev

Reaction score
Ive never done one yet but i want to to my truck i had my Friends dad make all the brackets and when he made them they were a half in on both sides wider that the spring pads so was just going to move them in and it has 3.73 gears in it and i guess he said it was out of a chevy that had the SAS on it but he totaled the truck and gave him the axle so he gave it to me.

bigred92chev

Reaction score
And i guess i'm going to have to get about 6 in out of it. Im not doing it for a few months but just wanted to see if i was missing any thing witch it looks like i am. Thanks for the help tho.

Sepiroth

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
IDK if this will help anyone any. But today on Spike, Xtreme 4x4 did a SAS on a 92, I wanna say, K1500 Blazer. It looked to be very well thought out and not a hack job.

bigred92chev

Reaction score
sweet ill have to watch that. well thats the part i don't know yet i want do like the RCLB did on his truck. but i know a machinist that can make parts for me he works at 3m in the shop.