My new 1996 k2500 eclb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Truck is looking good, I've always liked the eclbs.

Thanks man. Appreciate it.

Got bored today so I swapped out my 160 kph gauge cluster for a 180. It was in better shape, too.

You must be registered for see images attach

By the way, I did not tamper with the odometer, since that is illegal in Canada. They both just so happen to be at 255'025.5 kilometres.......funny 'bout that, eh?

.........however, if I were to do so, I would look at this writeup, at the second part. I also would note that you don't work from the left side to reset your odometer, you work from the right side, it is considerably easier. Not that I know that from experience..........

:lol:

Last edited:

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
By the way, I did not tamper with the odometer, since that is illegal in Canada. They both just so happen to be at 255'025.5 kilometres.......funny 'bout that, eh? :lol:

I bet you went through A LOT of junk yards to find an odometer with 255,025.5 km on it. Reckon the clerks gave ya a funny look when you asked if they had one in stock too... :lol:

So you swapped a 160 for a 180. It is my understanding that you can now go 20 km/h faster than before? Why are we all not doing this to our trucks?! :rofl:

A nice looking truck for what its used for: being used. I also love the stock fender flares. They just scream "Work Truck". Keep it up!

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
I bet you went through A LOT of junk yards to find an odometer with 255,025.5 km on it. Reckon the clerks gave ya a funny look when you asked if they had one in stock too... :lol:

So you swapped a 160 for a 180. It is my understanding that you can now go 20 km/h faster than before? Why are we all not doing this to our trucks?! :rofl:

A nice looking truck for what its used for: being used. I also love the stock fender flares. They just scream "Work Truck". Keep it up!

When I go 120, I don't know what kind of mileage I'm getting...but I wouldn't go so far as to call it "good".....never mind 180. But it makes me feel more manly knowing my speedometer, at least, will allow it :rofl:

Appreciate the compliment. I like it, and it certainly is a work truck. I'm not concerned about dents or scratches, since I'm out there yarding wood or hauling with it, every day. But I like it to look presentable at least. The box needs a coat of paint, need to put some rockers on, new moulding, and it wouldn't look too bad.

I really like the flares, too. I have a complete second set I'm saving for another truck if/when I get one.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Installed a new set of Delco plugs yesterday and did an oil change. Had to do a little test drive...I guess I hadn't realized how bad my plugs were. Noticeably smoother idle and better power. Planked 'er and got up to about 155 and chickened out. Probably burned about $5 worth of fuel...:lol:
Found a valve cover leak I wasn't previously aware of, might be an opportunity to get some nice valve covers on there.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Took this:

Cleaned the hell out of it...and all the other lits bits and pieces, so that I could turn this:

Into this:

Need a few new pieces, but it's mostly there.

Thread: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?17137-Dash-replacement

Last edited:

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Got tired of my long search for reasonably priced PYOs so I decided to make the best of my ugly, rusty, weathered Dodge rims and painted them black. Running them without the chrome trim rings for now, undecided if I'll put them back on.
Also fixed some surface rust on the extended part of the cab, need to track down some double sided tape and the stock moulding will be going back on

Last edited:

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Just for fun made up a little list of everything I've actually spent on the truck.
Everything else I've used from parts trucks/stuff I had laying around. My old half ton (now parts) is what I'd call a financial write-off and owes me nothing, and I traded the tires I spent around $500 and an old Husqvarna 266 for another parts truck. So I'm not going to include that, I got use out of the saw and the tires. No big deal.

Bodywork supplies (paint, bondo, double sided tape etc.): $40
8-new Delco spark plugs: $45
Front pads: $25
Oil filter adapter gasket/o-ring: $8
Antifreeze after heater hose broke: $10
Locktite: $7

Total: $135

Everything else (fuel pump, alternator, every body piece, old (but good) ignition parts etc etc) all came off my old trucks. I don't include oil changes, fuel, or time, obviously.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score

Suspension carnage. Amazingly, it didn't make much noise (a little over bumps) and was only sagging a couple inches. I didn't even notice until I was already under the truck (changing my diff fluid)

Last edited:

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
ouch. that looks like it hurt

Could have been worse...at least it wasn't the main leaf.

Pulled the whole spring pack out of my 3/4 ton parts truck and swapped that in. It was a pain getting them removed from my truck.

The u-bolts snapped right off which was thankful (I don't particularly enjoy angle grinders, after having them blow up in my face several times), but neither of the eye-bolts would come out. Couldn't get any swing with a hammer and my bed was being a fighter and didn't want to come off, so I wound up cutting the front bolt out and removing the entire rear hanger and beating the bolts out when I had the pack removed from the truck.

The parts truck was easy since the box was shot anyways, so I just ripped the sides up to give room to beat the bolts out. Got her all together in a hurry and only cleaned/undercoated the critical spots and never-seized all the new bolts, it was about to rain and I don't enjoy getting wet when I'm not getting paid.

Also got my rear diff oil changed with some 80W90, and painted the cover red, simply because I had half a can of it kicking around and I didn't feel like buying more. It's actually engine enamel in f*rd red, believe it or not. I guess they are good for something...

Got my front bumper straightened out, apparently I forgot to install a couple bolts when I put it in, which is why it started sagging again.

Next to my '49 Willys one-ton, which is waiting on time and money. It's a stalled frame off resto I've been working on for over three years, around half way done with it.

Last edited: