lifter tick solutions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I've got a pretty constant lifter tick. No matter how hot/cold the truck is it will do it. Seems the days its loudest it drowns out the radio AND the tire noise ( imagine 33's road noise). So you can probably see why I want to fix this issue. How can I deal with this? I already tried mmo for two oil cycles and it didn't help.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
If you already tried detergent in the oil (MMO) then its time to replace the lifter.

I have heard about draining the oil, putting Auto Trans Fluid in there and letting it idle for a few minutes until the tick goes away then draining the ATF and put fresh oil/filter in. I haven't tried this but it might be worth a shot before tearing it apart for a lifter replacement.

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
Atf will also help clean grime out of your engine because it has higher content of detergents in it

Big98z71

Reaction score
How about just adjusting the valves, I have seen many times where the rocker nuts would loosen, get new rocker nuts and adjust first, if you have problems with adjusting them then it's time to pull the intake. But word to the wise, always replace cam and lifters at same time, new lifters won't ride right on an old cam.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
^^ as long as the lobe is not abnormally worn, new lifters on an old cam is ok, but you should follow the break in instructions and additive for a new cam. If it is a roller, no break in is required.