HT383E into a K3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
thanks for your reply......yes, i do understand the VE tables...that's ho i tuned my space ship Harley, by the VE tables.....it's close, but i never put it on a dyno.

my mechanic does have a dyne.....i as there the other day going over all the **** i need done on my frontend......but i know he'll do a real good job on the tuning, just don't know hat he'll charge and n reality if i just save a few more dollars i'll get a WAY better product than if i go with the Hyprchip deal.....not tha that's a bad option......buy once, cry once for real.......

i couldn't believe the difference in tune i needed JUST from a cam change in my pretty modified Dyna........imagine the XR750 Harley motor....she was suckig in 115% on the volumetric efficiency.....no that's sure maximizing. intake and exhaust are CRITICAL for a real proper running machine.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/threads/gmpp-ht383e-swapped-into-99-suburban-k2500.66363/

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
nd
So you're agreeing with me?

yea..sort of..i don't kno wht you'll rlly see.......you have to make upgrades.....NO ****** doubt.......bu from what i've gathered, just swapping the block makes a huge difference with stock peripherals........i know this for a fact from my own truck. i haven't tuned her yet.

i will say and have always said EVERY truck, CAR or BIKE needs to be built as a complete recipe for how it's gonna be used..........opinions be damned.

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So at the end of the day, sounds like a tune can be a really good thing, but maybe not absolutely necessary. So in my 3500 do I need a tune, or would it be the plug and play being it is a factory equipped L31 350 truck? And without the tune, would it be a huge difference over my stock setup?

If it’s still a big deal and needs an expensive tune and headers and all kinds of extra performance parts to make it open up, seems like I could save a ton of money and just put a brand new L31 in the truck and be pretty happy with the rejuvenation in general.

More power and torque would be sweet, but would only be a plus if within reason, at the end of the day I’m getting a motor to replace an old tired 345,000 rattling motor.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
IMO going with the 383 and not planning on a real tune would be counter-productive. You'd be leaving a lot of potential power on the table over something that would cost you less than $400 including a spare PCM. I'm pretty confident that Black Bear Performance or any of the popular mail order tuners could handle this with no issues.

If you're not trying to spend some money on the upgrades that have been mentioned by others here then IMO a stock replacement engine may be closer to what you're looking for.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Oh yeah, agreed you'll see a difference bolt in and go, just not the advertised numbers was my point. I think we're on the same page.

we are....i just don't understand why GM would give those numbers and say it's with all the stock stuff bolted on.

eventually we'll see what my truck puts to the ground with what i've done........i'm real excited but i know a ca't do it right now. too many other priorities at the moment......soon though, perhaps before i expire, LOL

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
So at the end of the day, sounds like a tune can be a really good thing, but maybe not absolutely necessary. So in my 3500 do I need a tune, or would it be the plug and play being it is a factory equipped L31 350 truck? And without the tune, would it be a huge difference over my stock setup?

If it’s still a big deal and needs an expensive tune and headers and all kinds of extra performance parts to make it open up, seems like I could save a ton of money and just put a brand new L31 in the truck and be pretty happy with the rejuvenation in general.

More power and torque would be sweet, but would only be a plus if within reason, at the end of the day I’m getting a motor to replace an old tired 345,000 rattling motor.

when i was doing my research.....i had to take into account the additional parts i would have needed to buy with a crate L31......water pump, distributor, blabla......so the 383 was really not all THAT much more since it comes with all that stuff you'd want to buy new anyway......and of course if i did go with another L31 i would have wanted to gussie it up some either way.........the HT was an easy sell for what i was getting.

even though it's still an under square motor, i like the longer stroke.