Help me pick a NEW 5.7 engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only problem he'd have with a 6.0 is that he's a TBI right now which means he's OBDI, so he'd need to do more to provide the OBDII stuff and the engine control that he doesn't have right now, a 383 TBI would be pretty straight forward, out with the old, in with the new. though if he has the extra money and time for a 6.0 swap, I'd also vote for that as well.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
i dont have to much knowledge about the TBI system but the main problem with the spider poppet system is lean issues when you need more fuel with things like a cam and or a 383, so my question is, is the tbi better for mods like that? is the tbi better at getting at more fuel?

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Unless I'm missing something, you don't have a TBI setup. You have a CSFI/vortec setup. TBI was used through '95 and then for '96, the CSFI system was used, up until 2001 in some applications. You'll have a lot of time/$ in setting up your truck to run TBI, and may be more of a de-evolving activity.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless I'm missing something, you don't have a TBI setup. You have a CSFI/vortec setup. TBI was used through '95 and then for '96, the CSFI system was used, up until 2001 in some applications. You'll have a lot of time/$ in setting up your truck to run TBI, and may be more of a de-evolving activity.

You're right on the money with everything you just said there bud! But the OP has a 95', so he does have a throttle body set up!

93blackthunder

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dumb question a 383 is a stroked 350 correct? If so does the tbi units give enough fuel delivery in order to support the motor?

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
You're right on the money with everything you just said there bud! But the OP has a 95', so he does have a throttle body set up!

Whelp, you're right. Jeez!! I got confused. Let's wait and see what the OP says about budgetary constraints before listing out specs/parts

Dumb question a 383 is a stroked 350 correct? If so does the tbi units give enough fuel delivery in order to support the motor?

A 383 is a +.030" overbore on a 350 block, with a 3.75" stroke instead of a 3.48" stock stroke. It is a "stroked" 355, if that makes sense. Not to confuse you, but a "stroked" 350 is a 377.

Upgrades to the TBI setup are available to tune a stroker very well.

68post

Reaction score
Now how much power can you expect out of a tbi 383?

You can usually count on at least 1 ft lb of torque for each cubic inch increase @ peak (33 ft lbs, with an .030 overbore included ), but you'll have a good increase for all of the powerband also. Thats if the same heads and cam are used .
If you increase airflow from better heads or at least a slightly larger cam ,(or both), then you'll gain even more power.

: Also check out http://www.tbichips.com/truckmods.htm for some good reading info on modding the TBI system. He also has a customer build of a blueprint 383 on his site. :
The above is excellant advice. ( courtesy of "dirtridinz71")

Last edited: