Hank Hill's 88 GMC RCLB Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HankHill_K2500

Sweet sweet propane
Reaction score
After painting the fender flares and prepping the wiring for the light bar it was all just a bunch of waiting for stuff to arrive in the mail. There were the clips and fabric for the headliner, body mounts, the light bar, all kinds of goodies.

Also every time I type one of these up I realize I need to take more pictures to show things, and Im away from my truck too often to be able to get all the pictures.

Anyway

-The light bar came first.
You must be registered for see images attach

I really liked 88GMCTruck's light bar install for a number of reasons, the outstanding one being that the bar is very hard to reach and is less likely to get stolen.

Also the light bar was pretty cheap - $170 CAD off of eBay for 32" Curved, so I didnt feel so bad about having to take a hack saw and dremel to the cooling fins to make it fit. It is still not completely done but only because I want a flat edge as well as it painted back to black again where I cut it.

https://instagram.com/p/1MsVR5gfUi/

-I got myself some energy suspension cab mounts because as you can see from a lot of my pictures, I have a saggy cab :'(

-Got the headliner done and looks nice

-I fixed that mount for the heater controls behind the dash.

-Rewired my stereo wires. The old work was pretty bad to be honest. Crappy electrical tape wrapped around crappy soldering. Now its all shrink wrapped.

-I had some 6x9 Kenwood speakers from my dad behind the seat that I ran in parallel with the regular rear speakers in my truck. I knew these speakers could pound but the stereo is too wimpy so everything sounded like tinny crap. So I took an old amp I had laying around and I've wired it most of the way up.

-I really need to get myself a battery with both side terminals and top posts because there are a lot of auxiliary things on my truck that need a direct battery connection. Im also looking at getting a linear amp for my CB which will push the limits of my alternator and battery so Im starting to consider a dual battery setup and a beefier alternator or potentially a secondary one. Since the truck is propane, I believe I can remove the vapour canister because it is not connected to anything and I would be able to fit another battery in that spot. There are some other mysteries about the truck that Ive got to figure out first, however. The trailer brake controller was a very shotty install electrically and Im surprised it still works. It is a hydraulic trailer brake so its not very versatile to work with. Also my grandpa has a fuse link coming off the battery as well as the regular terminal connection so I need to investigate those and figure out if that extra fuse link is really necessary.

Upcoming plans for the truck:
Cab Mount Replacement
Checker Plate Tailgate
Re-done CB antenna mounts and wiring
Headache rack and runner rail fabrication
New Tires
4x4 Drive Axle
A thorough engine bay cleaning
Clutch adjustment/potential replacement
Differential, Transmission and Transfer case fluid replacement

Also as a bonus, here is an ad in my hometown. As a backstory: The Alberta oil sands have laid off a bunch of workers

HankHill_K2500

Sweet sweet propane
Reaction score
coming along nicely!

Nice truck!

Thanks guys!

What headache rack are you thinking?

I like the Double X from Highway Products other than those are some seriously big posts and the mesh covers all of the back window. I have a slider so Id still want that to be accessible.

You must be registered for see images

Another problem is since Im in Canada, shipping is way more expensive and its harder to find what I want so I might just end up fabricating my own.

HankHill_K2500

Sweet sweet propane
Reaction score
So my truck being an '88 and being base-model I didnt get some extra lights most others have. These being a third brake light and an under-hood light. The third brake light I dont much care for and I like the look of the truck without it but the under-hood light is a feature I wish I had. So while I was at Princess Auto (if its a Canadian store then think Harbour Freight) I picked up a cheap, probably very weak, little LED light bar. Its magnetic and can be screwed in.

Hooked it up to my car battery to test it

Not bad for $30

Sent from my propane-converted iPhone

HankHill_K2500

Sweet sweet propane
Reaction score
Have not accomplished much. It makes me so sad seeing it sit and have grass grow around it. Theres so much I want to do but lack of funds, time, tools and help make that a challenge. I also think that the propane system will have to go under a bit of a tune up as well as maintenance. Hoses are getting brittle and I can hear a small leak which is a dreadful sound. So all I put in was new button for my dixie horns because I messed up the old one. I painted the little flag with my sisters nail polish haha.

HankHill_K2500

Sweet sweet propane
Reaction score
A few things done this weekend. Finished amp wiring just need posts to connect power to. Wired up CB and tuned the antennas, 1.5:1 on Channel 1 and 40, everything lower everywhere between.

Reconnected and repositioned PA speaker

Put new emblems on

Wire loomed all the bare wires kicking about the engine bay and attempted to fix the licence plate holder from when a deer hit me. Back to school today so the truck wont see me until the 31st. Lots of stuff planned for that weekend, body mounts, extra odds and ends and yes, colour matching the grille. Getting it all set up for camping the weekend after!

HankHill_K2500

Sweet sweet propane
Reaction score
Pictures of the wire loom

Bought this side terminal lug off of Amazon and it works amazingly. Just pop out the old piece that screws into the battery and put this through and boom you have yourself a terminal. *Zakk Wylde guitar solo*

Tomorrow or Saturday comes body mounts, paint, cleaning and whatever else I can think of.