Fuel pump will not turn on with key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clutch4190

Reaction score
I have a 1994 k1500 with the 350. I've done a lot of searching and as much research as I possibly could yet I cannot find anything to solve my problem. So far I have determined that I am not getting power to the fuel pump relay. I can take 12v to the gray wire on the relay and the pump will run and the truck with run. If I take 12v to the fuel pump FUSE, the pump with only run if the key is in the off position. As soon as I turn the key to the on position, the pump shuts off, regardless of the fact that I have a direct 12v running to it.

I have checked all fuses and relays. I have swapped out the fuel pump relay to knock out that option. The problem seems to be that I am not getting power into the relay. There is an older alarm/remote start on this truck but I lost the key fob a while back while the alarm was armed. I opened the truck with the key and the alarm went off. To stop the alarm I just ripped the wires off the underhood speaker. The truck started and ran fine for months until recently. I have no idea if there is a connection between the two...

So, for the time being i have a switch run to the gray wire on the fuel pump relay so that I can drive the truck. However, it cranks for about 15 seconds before the truck fires. It will crank and crank, then the check engine light will flicker, and the engine will fire. After it is running, the check engine light shuts off.

Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated guys. Like I said, I can drive the truck right now but I'd hate to fry the starter with all this cranking, and the pump being direct to the battery is putting a serious draw on the battery and alternator.

Last edited:

OlSmokie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This may sound odd, but I had a similar problem with a 95 S10 blazer and it was the oil pressure switch. If there is no oil pressure, there will be no power going to the pump. I even replaced the pump in the tank thinking that that was the problem, but when I turned the key on, there was no power going to it. I replaced the oil pressure sending unit, and it worked. I still had no power going to the pump but on the advice of a friend, I poured a little gas down the TBI, and cranked it over. It started right up and ran fine for years after.