Footwell lights stay on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1Kurgan1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well my 91 Silverado 2500 is going to be on the road this week, this is one of the last loose ends I have to figure out. If the battery is connected, these just stay on, any ideas?

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
when you open the door there is a peg that is on the side of the dash that the door panel presses in that is the switch to turn off interior lights

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
when you open the door there is a peg that is on the side of the dash that the door panel presses in that is the switch to turn off interior lights

X2 The switch is either broke and got pushed through the mounting hole or it is failing. Although when they fail, usually the courtesy lights will not come on when the door opens. You don't by any chance have you dimmer switch rolled all the way up to the dome lamp position do you? You might want to check that out.

1Kurgan1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Already tried pegs on driver and passenger side and glove box just because I can. none had any effect, so possibly broken. If so, how to fix? Don't really want to tear the dash apart, but if I got to I suppose I have to. I hope the dimmer switch isn't up, but sadly trucks not located here and it hasn't seen the road yet, but I assume it's not that. As the people that sold it to me sold it with no battery, and I assume this is why, it would just die if it had one. I'm heading out to put the box on tonight and will check the dimmer, hope its that, but doubtful. So any info on those darn switches would be great, might have to pull their fuse for a while till I can fix it.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The switch itself is a cheap fix. There like $7 bucks at your local parts store. There also easy to replace, just slip your hand behind the dash and press the spring clips together and push em out. Shouldn't take more then 8-9 minutes to replace both of them!

1Kurgan1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll have to pick up some switches, checked the dimmer today and wasn't that, so I yanked the fuse for now.

1Kurgan1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I have replaced both switches and the lights still stay on. Any other ideas?

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
I took vice grips and ripped those little plungers right out of the dash because I got sick of the DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING going off when I vacuum my truck, or work on something with the radio on. My courtesy lights dont come on when I open the door, but if I need them, ill just roll that switch or hit the unlock on the key fab, to give me light.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I took vice grips and ripped those little plungers right out of the dash because I got sick of the DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING going off when I vacuum my truck, or work on something with the radio on. My courtesy lights dont come on when I open the door, but if I need them, ill just roll that switch or hit the unlock on the key fab, to give me light.

Correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't you just take the "dinger" out from under the dash in front of the e brake? That's what I did because I didn't want to hear the annoying dinging either.