Engine died no restart

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pappy G

Reaction score
The motor in my 98 GMC quit like I had turned off the key. I have power to everything but starter. Checked all fuses in fuse box and under hood.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Guess: you have main battery power to the starter. You don't have power to the "S" terminal of the starter, which goes from ignition switch, to the neutral-safety or clutch switch, to the start relay, to the "S" terminal.

When it was my truck--'97 K2500--the biggest part of the problem was corroded wire--the last ~18 inches or two feet of the copper that attaches to the "S" terminal was black or green instead of copper-colored. I had to replace 3+ feet of wire because I couldn't access the harness behind the engine--I had to splice in on top of the engine, and drop the wire down behind and then connect to the starter solenoid.

You could bypass all that by turning on the ignition, and then jumping from Battery + to the "S" terminal. The engine should crank and then start.

But none of that explains why your engine stalled.

Verify fuel pressure

Connect a real scan tool, see if there's anything in the data Key On, Engine Off (KOEO) that makes sense or helps you. If you can get it running, the data will be more extensive.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your battery connections. They need to be clean and tight. Make sure that side post terminal didn't loosen up on its own. Make sure it's tight on the starter.