Dual aternator install - 96-2000 6.5 diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
So, I HAD dual alternators on my 6.5 Turbo Diesel.

This summer I knew I wouldn't be plowing come winter and a "friend" of mine has a 6.5 that he plows with. It has a power pak hydraulic system and he's always complaining about dimming lights and whatnot. So, I loaned him my setup with the condition I needed it back when I said so.

He's been plowing for a while now and it works great. So great in fact, that he has refused to return it.

Let's just say he's not on my Christmas card list anymore and I'm not getting my second alt system back. :mad:

His loss. No more work on his pile from me. And it will break down on him. He was around at least once a month looking for help or advice on something since he's seasonal and .....lower income.. That door to cheap/free fixes is now solidly closed. It will likely pop something while he's plowing and then he'll be loosing money. It's the only truck he's got and he has contracts, mostly for private drives. It's also his only source of money in the winter other than pogey. Doesn't claim his plowing income either.

Karma, she is a ***** and buddy is gonna get a whole snootful of it.....

But I'm still left with a big electrical load (my washer heater pulls 60A alone) and one 105 CS130D alt to carry it.

Anyone who has seen my build thread knows I like electrical goodies. Cold start goes like this: glow plug cycle (tear the sh!te out of the amperage), crank over a big high compression diesel, on come the heater mid to full blast, on comes the CB, on come the mirror heat, on comes the rear truck cap defroster grid, sometimes the wipers, the fog light running lights come on, all while the glow plugs are going through their post start glow cycles to keep the big diesel ticking over happy and clean. Adding a rear wiper is going to task it even more.

The driving lights I have planned with kick the crap out of it in the summer too. Not to mention: Every so often I fire up some fairly large wattage in the CB and I've got 600W of amplifiers that I like to dial up every now and then. There's also the inverter that we have running a lot for charging accessories or running a laptop and that big 35 foot trailer charging it's batteries back there off the truck doesn't help either.

Chuck in my commute is fairly short in -15C (and lower) temps and that spells trouble for my two big 800 CCA batteries.

Yeah, this single 105A alternator BS will not do. I need to build another dual system. (I do use a trickle charger every night to keep 'em fresh, but not in summer)

I'll give a few reasons why I prefer a dual system over a big single like an AD244 since the question will come up.

I prefer dual alts because high loads are split across two alts instead of one. This means less heat in each unit. When loads are low, only one alt is excited and the other is minimal drag on the system. Less heat means the units live longer.

They also turn out as much (often more) than a big single. Alternators are rated at a temperature. You may get 145 out of an alternator at it's rated temp, but that tends to be a little under it's usual running temp. It markets better to be able to say "210 Amps!", but that's peak and often it's cold. As it runs and heats the amperage comes down. You can loose as much as 40-60A off the rating when hot.

For example: a 145A alt may drop to 100A (keep in mind: these are peak ratings) when hot. My two 105A alts are rated around 75-80A hot. So, even hot, my dual alts will put out 150-160A (peak).

Redundancy is also a nice feature. If I pop one alt, I zip out my single alt belt and 10 minutes later I'm off and running no worse for wear.

Lastly: the CS130D alt is common. So common I can walk into almost any parts store or junkyard and walk out with one cheap. I used to buy them at 10 bucks a pop form the yards. Even if the parts store doesn't have an alt in stock, they usually have the regulator or diode pack on the shelf. An AD244 takes a week or more to get a hold of here. I can get a CS130D by just walking through the door.

Lastly, they "package" a little better because they are smaller. Larger alts can potentially run a little cooler due to the larger frame, but the CS130D's are pretty good units for cooling (dual internal fans) as they are.

There's nothing wrong with one big single, it's just not for me.

Dual alts are made easier on a 6.5 as the "ambulance package" had a dual alternator as an option:

You must be registered for see images attach

That's a RH drive, but you get the idea.

Unfortunately, this kit:

Has long been discontinued by GM. The good news is the kit was really just the front bracket and some bolts. The main bracket is already on teh 6.5 as part of the AC/engine lift bracket.

So Ya gotta roll yer own front bracket if ya wants dual alts!

There's a couple guys that offer the basic pieces, but they either have disappeared over the yeas, have gotten stupid expensive or just don't reply to emails anymore. Meh, I made my last one, I'll make another.

First off, I need the bracket. Item number 6 in the pic above. I grab a pic of it off the internet:

and use the photocopier to blow it up until the distance between the alt mount bolt match real life. Then trace it on a piece of 3/16 stock and burn it out:

Close, some grinder work will finish it up.

Now to rummage through my parts bins. Pretty sure I have what I need hanging around and sure enough I come up with an idler pulley ( I always change 'em with the belt but keep the old ones):

A bit more digging finds some Alt wiring:

And I pull down one of my spare used CS130D 105A alts:

Since I can't stand working on dirty parts, I start cleaning the alt:

Brushes look good, commutator is clean, no obvious burns or signs of overheating, just a bit of grunge from running.

So that's where I currently am. I've got the bulk of it from parts I already have. Probably have about 30 bucks into it so far.

Next will be to source some alternator bolts, finish up the bracket, a few spacers and a belt. Some cables and I'm ready to go.

What this space for updates as I go.....;)

*update*

aBracket is coming along nicely:

Last edited:

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Dual alts are not uncommon. In the car audio scene, they're everywhere. And they're massive amperage alts too.

Yeah, that's my thoughts. I also hear that high amp alts struggle at low rpm. I can pick up alts for $10 like great white and have them rebuilt to whatever amp I specify for under $40. Building the bracketry is my only concern. Wiring and stuff is no problem.

My thoughts are 2 120-150 amp alts will run better than a single 200+ amp alt.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Yeah, that's my thoughts. I also hear that high amp alts struggle at low rpm. I can pick up alts for $10 like great white and have them rebuilt to whatever amp I specify for under $40. Building the bracketry is my only concern. Wiring and stuff is no problem.

My thoughts are 2 120-150 amp alts will run better than a single 200+ amp alt.

Unless you are running big power draws, dual alternators are not really required.

Most aftermarket stereos guys are running on this board don't qualify as "big power".

You need something with serious amperage draw to require dual alternators.

A snow plow with an electro/hydraulic power pack is one, large inverters is another.

For example: my heated washer fluid unit draws 60A while it's heating. This is always right after a start as the fluid is cold in the unit from sitting all night in -20C. With my single 105A running at 650 RPM engine speed (diesel idles low), I'm probably lucky to be putting out 65-70A. Not enough to keep up with the heater and start putting charge back into the battery. Chuck on the rear defrost and heated mirrors and the charging system is "in the hole" and drawing more power out of the batts to make up the deficit. Now the lights come on and the heater motor is running and things go bad rather quickly. I never dim, but I've also got two 800CCA batteries in parallel. That's 1600 CCA when at their rated temperature. Likely around 1300-1400 on a cold morning. After a start they're probably still putting 800-1000 AH capacity into the system.

Notice that those are all heating items that I was talking about. Those are the heaviest draws. If you don't have things like that running, you're likely OK fine at the stock 105A.

A RocFos amplifier or such isn't even going to make a dent in a stock truck. If you're lights are dimming, you're better off spending you time going through the charging system and cleaning the connectors and especially the grounds. Then a second battery. Then if you are still drawing a lot of juice, dual alternators.

Keep in mind: even if you have the potential to crank out 100A at idle speed, it doesn't mean that's what they are going to do. The alternators only make as much current as the system needs. If one alt can always provide enough current, a second alternator is going to spend it's life doing nothing but causing accessory drag....

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Bracket is coming along nicely:

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Eventually I would like to run a winch, stereo and a ton of lighting, power inverter and probably a few other goodies.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Eventually I would like to run a winch, stereo and a ton of lighting, power inverter and probably a few other goodies.

Sounds like parallel batteries would serve you better.

No alternator is going to keep up with a winch's draw...