Dreaded intake manifold leak...I think?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The fixed pipe that goes into the top of the water pump is what pulled out. Looks like it is just a press-fit.piece.

I got this intake at the pick n pull because I cracked my original overtightening the water temp sender.

I did the RTV along the head/block area and I used a Permatex product on the bolts. Ah well. If I redo it and get another four years out of it I am sure it will outlive the engine.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got a couple questions for you if you don't mind...
I did mine just about four years ago and it has failed at the back by the firewall. What do you think I did wrong?

What do you use to seal the bolt threads?

My water pump pipe pulled right out of the intake. I glued it it back in with RTV but it eventually started leaking. Have you ever had that happen? Any ideas for a more permanant fix?
I use jb weld for grooving on jeads and I use thread sealer on the Intake bolts myself. Never had an issue

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only "water pump" pipe I can think of is the quick connect above cylinder #2 . I've had those strip out before but it's usually not an issue. The replacement quick connect is cheap and maybe u could roughen the parts that touch and use jb weld or a similar product. About the best u can do I'm sure, if it was pressed in ur gonna have to use something good and strong. And if the intake is leaking at the back maybe bolts loosened up , I've seen the distributor gasket leak too and it looks like back if intake but chances are the intake or the edge of the block wasn't clean enuff or the rtv wasn't any good. I only use permatex ultra black, I don't even use the stuff that comes with intake set.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The only "water pump" pipe I can think of is the quick connect above cylinder #2 .

Small block Vortec water pumps have fittings pressed in.... at least one. I think it's for the bypass. They look kinda flimsy to me, but there are many of them out there, so they must be secure if done right.

I think I'd just replace the pump at this point. I wouldn't want a "fix" coming un-done while running down the road.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah it's the little pipe that comes out of the front of the intake and is joined to the pump by a short hose. I am going to try to JB Weld it or I guess I might go back to the junk yard and pull another intake.

mckee1710

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice ride.. Intake gasket is super easy. I do recommend doing spider upgrade while it's off, as the old poppets suck. You will be happy you did it.

Thanks! I’ve been looking at the MPFI swap as well, seems like a good time to do it. Summit has the entire AC Delco swap assembly w/ gasket and bracket for less than $300, will likely go that route.

Byard

Reaction score
Hello everyone, yes I'm a newbie on this site but have been a looker for a few years.

Just finished up the intake gasket repair on my 2000 K2500 5.7. Truck has always ran just fine, but had the dreaded water leak that was getting worse so I read a lot and watched several videos on the repair and it went great until I started the engine.

The engine now has a miss / skip and when I press the throttle The engine sputters and pops back through the air intake. It's sputters to the point that it almost shuts the engine off but then catches up and RPMs increase still with a miss.

I have checked plug wire connections at distributor cap and at plugs and it seems all wires are firing.

Distributor and rotor were marked and reinstalled correctly (I thought)

Could it be a gear tooth off causing it to do this

Thanks for any ideas