Disappearing coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stompah

Reaction score
Well, its not really disappearing. But its going away fast.

So it is a two part problem.

1. I cannot find any leak. But I constantly smell it when I am outside of the truck. It is strongest on the passenger side by the overflow tank.

Every hose is dry, every connection is dry, the radiator isn't wet. The intake gasket has been swapped but it looks like it has been a long time ago. I see no seepage.

2. When I get in it hard it will dump coolant back into the overflow tank and steam up pretty badly. The temp barely moves over the 210 mark.

The only other thing I can remember to say is every morning it does blow alot of white smoke. But it does not smell like antifreeze.

1998 Suburban 2500 454/4x4 still running dexcool and no sludge.

Any ideas what it could be?

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
^^ what skylark says, I'm in a similar boat. Doing my intake gaskets this weekend

Sent from my 5.7 powered iPhone

Stompah

Reaction score
Great. What's the usual shadetree mechanic time to complete?

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That white smoke is the biggest clue. Too bad burning coolant has not been proven to improve fuel mileage. ;-)

Tough luck, let us know how this turns out.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great. What's the usual shadetree mechanic time to complete?
I do them in about 3 hours and I'm not a professional but I have done several. The 2 biggest issues are pulling the power steering pulley as well as pressing it back on and setting cam retard.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I did my intake gaskets a few years ago. Like you I could not find the leak ether. I got a radiator pressure taster, and did the test. Sure enough I could see antifreeze dripping down the back of the block from under the truck. I took a mirror, and mine was leaking where the intake, head and block meet up on the drivers side. IMO you need to do the pressure test before you try changing intake gaskets. AutoZone will loan you a tester. Being on the passengers side, it could also be a small leak in the heater core. Your leak will show it self with a pressure tester.

What?

Reaction score
I did my intake gaskets a few years ago. Like you I could not find the leak ether. I got a radiator pressure taster, and did the test. Sure enough I could see antifreeze dripping down the back of the block from under the truck. I took a mirror, and mine was leaking where the intake, head and block meet up on the drivers side. IMO you need to do the pressure test before you try changing intake gaskets. AutoZone will loan you a tester. Being on the passengers side, it could also be a small leak in the heater core. Your leak will show it self with a pressure tester.

100% this post.

Pressure test will help you find it the leak.