Cummins swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonka329

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey folks. I figure I would stop in and ask some of your guys here about doing a 6bt (Cummins 12v) swap into a GMT400 crew cab body style. Looking for any tips or tricks on how to make this a little easier than expected if anyone on this forum have done it... I know I may be asking for trouble but, I would like to keep the truck an auto. If it has the 4l80e, I will have my local trans shop build it up to handle the extra torque... I thought about using the NV4500 but, I'm not wanting to do all the shifting and I will not be pulling nothing of excessive weight. All I have is a 26' camper right at 6,000 pounds. Let me know anything of some "do's and dont's" or of any good advice! If there are any questions, feel free to ask! Thanks again!

Tonka

95Suburban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a 24v in my 95 suburban. I used autoworld for the engine mounts, they also supplied the alt and a/c mounts. Not cheap but made it almost a bolt in. You can have the 4l80 built to handle it, but barely. You will need to massage the firewall as well. I did an Sas because the ifs will barely handle the weight.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Claytorr

Reaction score
I put a 24v in my 95 suburban. I used autoworld for the engine mounts, they also supplied the alt and a/c mounts. Not cheap but made it almost a bolt in. You can have the 4l80 built to handle it, but barely. You will need to massage the firewall as well. I did an Sas because the ifs will barely handle the weight.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
I am considering this for my 95 k2500 that currently has the 6.5. Did you do a write up? Did you consider an Allison?

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am considering this for my 95 k2500 that currently has the 6.5. Did you do a write up? Did you consider an Allison?
9 year old thread, that guy hasn't been here in 3 years. Don't hold your breath for an answer.
I will tell you that an Allison is much larger than an 80e, you'll need to cut the tunnel to get it to fit.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9 year old thread, that guy hasn't been here in 3 years. Don't hold your breath for an answer.
I will tell you that an Allison is much larger than an 80e, you'll need to cut the tunnel to get it to fit.
There’s still hope he might return and give us the answers we seek. :help: