Couple of engine issues... Need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Colorado2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, I have a couple things going on with my truck that have finally worried me enough to ask y'all for help.
Its a '89 C2500, L05 TBI 350, 172xxx miles, runs okay with decent power and fuel economy, recent full tune-up, well cared for in terms of maintenance.

1. Slight oil consumption issue, was bad for a while, then I switched to high mileage synthetic and went to 5w-30 from 10w-30, and now there is no noticeable smoke on start-up nor under heavy acceleration. The stick shows it has lost some though, so I don't know, maybe valve stem seals? I've heard these are notoriously bad on these trucks, especially with higher mileage.

2. Coolant loss, oil looks fine, no visible leaks, no smoke out the tailpipe, but every couple of days I'll pop open the rad cap (recently replaced along with thermostat), and the coolant level always seems lower than the last time I checked it, and the reservoir has little coolant in it usually. Is this head gasket or maybe intake gaskets? The trucks never been overheated to my knowledge.
Also, I get a rushing water sound on acceleration from behind the dash, from the heater core I'm guessing, is this normal?

3. Vibration sound from under the passenger side valve cover, towards the front of the truck. No idea here, it does it all the time, and its not real pronounced, but noticeable.

4. Occasional tapping sound from engine when driving only, sometimes when hot, sometimes when cold, sound goes away and comes back, only under acceleration and increases with rpms, but seems to be quieter when rpms increase as well but that might just be engine noise quieting it. Again I have no idea, just worn valve-train? Bad lifter? This worries me the most.

I just could use some advice, I don't have a lot of experience nor money as I'm in college, but I need to make sure my baby, and my only transportation is in okay shape. Thanks.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
1. Probably just a slight leak on the oil pan gasket or valve cover gasket. High mileage oils have more gasket sealing additives in them which probably explains why your oil consumption got better when you switched.

2. Again, probably just a slight leak. You can buy a coolant system pressurizer (like a bicycle tire pump) and pressurize your coolant system from the radiator cap and look/listen for leaks.

3. Might be a lifter ticking. No big deal, next oil change run some detergent additive through it before changing the oil.

4. Probably just an exhaust manifold leak. When you first start it up before it warms up (so you don't burn your hands) feel for leaks around the exhaust gaskets.

All in all, if it runs fine and is well taken care of these trucks will live forever. If your really paranoid about your engine you can have a shop do a leak down test and compression test. Those two will tell you everything you need to know about your engines health. And they aren't very expensive, at most 1 hour labor for both.

Colorado2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1. Probably just a slight leak on the oil pan gasket or valve cover gasket. High mileage oils have more gasket sealing additives in them which probably explains why your oil consumption got better when you switched.

2. Again, probably just a slight leak. You can buy a coolant system pressurizer (like a bicycle tire pump) and pressurize your coolant system from the radiator cap and look/listen for leaks.

3. Might be a lifter ticking. No big deal, next oil change run some detergent additive through it before changing the oil.

4. Probably just an exhaust manifold leak. When you first start it up before it warms up (so you don't burn your hands) feel for leaks around the exhaust gaskets.

All in all, if it runs fine and is well taken care of these trucks will live forever. If your really paranoid about your engine you can have a shop do a leak down test and compression test. Those two will tell you everything you need to know about your engines health. And they aren't very expensive, at most 1 hour labor for both.
Thank you, I know it couldn't be too serious because the truck runs pretty strong, but every time I hear weird stuff it worries me.

EastTXYukon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rushing water sound behind the dash is air trapped in your cooling system. Mine does the same thing and I found my waterpump was leaking and fixing to fail. Replace the water pump, no more gurgling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colorado2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rushing water sound behind the dash is air trapped in your cooling system. Mine does the same thing and I found my waterpump was leaking and fixing to fail. Replace the water pump, no more gurgling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmm my truck had the water pump done about 20k miles ago, and it doesn't leak at all, any idea on how to get the air out of the system?

vic_v8

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
touch the bottom of the water pump, see if its wet

to get air out, run the truck in your drive way with the cap off, the air will bleed out once it's it operating temp