Control arm bushing replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As with most trucks of this vintage and mileage (1988 sierra 2wd 300k) pretty much all the bushings are shot. The worst are the control arm bushings but I decided to buy a full energy suspension bushing set. I have a couple ?'s

Anyone have a method for removing and pressing in the control arm bushings that works well? Did it work on both uppers and lowers? Im planning on trying to use my ball joint press unless I find a better method.

The kit comes with body bushings which is good cause mine are pretty rotted. Is it possible for me to cut the new body bushings in half to lower the body any?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Might be worth your while to take the control arms to a shop that has a press, preferably electric over hydraulic... that would be a snap where I work. Trying to do it yourself will take you a lot longer than if you take it to a shop.

As far as cutting the bushings... you might be able to shorten them a very small amount, but there are other problems when you try to do this, like steering shaft length and possibly other clearance issues.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I used a U-joint press clamped into a bench vise, and a few scraps (old U-joint bearing caps and other similar pieces) to drive the old bushings out of the shells, and new ones in. Lubing the new bushings goes a long way towards making it happen, too.

Richard

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
any sort of press really, i used a wood whole saw once, was apain in the ass. ive heard stories of burning them out and hammering them out but any sort of press would likely be easiest.

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
When I did them on my jeep, they wouldn't press out, so I burned them out. Hopefully your are not that bad.

Sent from Robl@nd

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check you energy suspension directions... last I knew you had to use your current control arm sleeves(outer shell).. so in that case just burn the old rubbers out of hot knife them out.....

Like I stated though that was last I knew... might have changed since I last checked the energy suspension site..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check you energy suspension directions... last I knew you had to use your current control arm sleeves(outer shell).. so in that case just burn the old rubbers out of hot knife them out.....

Like I stated though that was last I knew... might have changed since I last checked the energy suspension site..

You are correct. It does not come with sleeves. So I figure burning them out will be best.

I am also thinking of installing grease zerts anywhere there is a bushing. What are yalls thoughts on this?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a drill bit an drill a bunch of holes in the rubber an kinda saw through it until you can pull the inner sleeve an what's left of the rubber out. That's how I did the ones in my 78 an it worked really good...