Can I drive 20 miles with open headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Also, if you get too much drone with the windows up....you'll prolly find it comforting to roll them back down.

chevydan3

Reaction score
Update. Okay, so we welded new o2 bungs in the new headers, and cut the egr tube off my old shorties and welded it onto the new ones. I threw them on the truck and drove it down to the exhaust shop, it was 2x as loud as I expected, haha. Had the shop run new 2 1/2" pipes from the headers to the cats, and I already had a flowmaster catback with a 3" single tailpipe. With these new headers, I gained 2.5 mpg, from 11.75 up to 14.25. I am very happy. I didn't want chrome headers but the flowtechs and all the knockoffs mostly have 5/16" flanges and these had 3/8" flanges. They are the 88-95 midlengths that are all over ebay. I considered the 96-98 specific flowtechs but feared I'd have driveline clearance issues because I'm lifted. I have pictures and will post them later on tonight.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
I drove about 10 miles with no piping off the stock manifolds. It literally sounded disgusting. I didn't want to take it over like 1500 rpm.. Stock y-pipe back on, and i've got about 8ft of straight 3" piping on there now.. barely sounding acceptable :p