Building a better Lo5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90K1/2ton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been brainstorming some ideas for when my engine needs rebuilt. I intend to have the shortblock/bottom end rebuilt, for I don't plan on racing or doing much towing. After reading countless threads, I've come to the conclusion that vortec heads and a LT1 cam are both very popular upgrades for the Lo5. They also seem to be reasonably priced. I also like the idea of using GM parts. I don't not know how to tune TBI chips nor do I personally know anyone who does. I do know that far more people are familiar with tuning carbureted engines. I also like the simplicity of a carburetor so it is very likely that is the route I will take. What carburetor/intake combo would best suit my setup? Truck will primarily be used as a fair weather vehicle that I may use for towing from time to time. I am hoping to be somewhere in the ball park of 300hp/400tq. Something that can keep up the trucks on the lot today.

Truck is a 90 K1500 with an Lo5, 5lm60, NP241 and 3.73 gears.

Thank you!

Eric

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You might get better response in the regular engine thread instead of the 96+ thread. The b-body lt1 cam is the same as a vortec truck cam so essentially you are building a vortec long block. Easy build.