Black Coffee's 98' RCSB 4wd build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Well I love it because I have less moving parts so I don't always have to replace parts as frequently. Also off road I don't have to worry about my cv joints. But if your looking for a dd then your ifs is fine

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just really need a different shock setup I guess. My truck drives to rough, it shouldn't. I know my shocks just suck balls. With my setup, what kind of shocks should I look for? Do the 5150's really help out? I need a smoother ride over bumps.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
The 5150s claim to help with oversized tires and it sure helps with my 37s. Also they are unique. You see more resi shocks than these with the fixed resi. If you get them get a medium or light valving if you want a soft ride. Also the bilstein 5100 are good shocks too. I just don't know if they have valving options for the 5100s. I have 6 shocks and they cost about $800 shipped so you should be at about $500 for 4. I know the 5150s are like a $40 difference in price over the 5100

DHarmon81

Reaction score
Wow.... I stumbled upon this thread because I saw your sig on another post. That is a bad ass rig. I also was surprised because I live in SF and when I first moved back from Oregon in June I was staying in Menlo Park and saw Solid94's truck parked off El Camino lol. I noticed it a lot because I have a 92 Ext Cab SB that is getting painted white next week or so. Mine has Black Procomp Rims and Hankook MT's. It's crazy I came across you online though. Anyways, This is one of my favorite OBS trucks. Looks absolutely amazing. Definite build thread for my truck coming soon since I'm making money now and being young and single = cash money to my OBS. Glad I joined this site.

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks man! Yeah go ahead and ask anything, I haven't posted any real "build thread" worthy images because, when I'm working on something I'm busy, hot, and not in the mood to take pictures kinda mood. My latest "idea" in the whole, I don't have enough "room" is that I'm going to continue with my build and lets say in 6-8 months when the motor/tranny swap is done and the truck is done. I'm gonna take my 2 door tahoe body and chop the truck frame alittle and use that as my body. My 2 door tahoe body/interior is in near perfect condition. That way when I do it, I'll have a nice cab to stick on the 2 door frame run a flat bed on it and have that be my pretty mud truck, I'll just throw the rebuilt 350 vortec and the 4L60e into that frame. Anyways thats down the road, but now I have a plan. And thats the most logical I've come up with yet.

DHarmon81

Reaction score
I've read that post a few times over to make sure I got you right. So, wouldn't it be easier to flat bed the current truck and then do the motor and tranny swap to the tahoe? Or am I way off base. Then your mud truck would already have a lift and save you cutting frames and doing a body swap? Just saying you would end up with the EXACT same thing with much less work from what I understand....

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks man! Yeah go ahead and ask anything, I haven't posted any real "build thread" worthy images because, when I'm working on something I'm busy, hot, and not in the mood to take pictures kinda mood. My latest "idea" in the whole, I don't have enough "room" is that I'm going to continue with my build and lets say in 6-8 months when the motor/tranny swap is done and the truck is done. I'm gonna take my 2 door tahoe body and chop the truck frame alittle and use that as my body. My 2 door tahoe body/interior is in near perfect condition. That way when I do it, I'll have a nice cab to stick on the 2 door frame run a flat bed on it and have that be my pretty mud truck, I'll just throw the rebuilt 350 vortec and the 4L60e into that frame. Anyways thats down the road, but now I have a plan. And thats the most logical I've come up with yet.

Drunken post? or hav eyou just been thinking to much, your saying your gonna scrap the truck body and put the tahoe body on the truck frame? wouldn't be easier to put a 6.0 in the 2dr and lift it and sas it for the mud truck? and how would you put a flat bed on it?

or are you saying you would take the truck body off of the frame and take the 2dr body off of its frame then swap the 2dr body onto the truck frame and take the 2dr tahoe frame and make it into a mud truck with the truck body and the flat bed.... im confused

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another doobie post, been studying for mid terms.. ha I don't know what I'm saying half the time? But this is what I was going towards ha. "or are you saying you would take the truck body off of the frame and take the 2dr body off of its frame then swap the 2dr body onto the truck frame and take the 2dr tahoe frame and make it into a mud truck with the truck body and the flat bed.... im confused "

On other news, definetly gonna order or buy some door handles tomorrow in and out, I'm tired of rolling down the windows to open the doors from the outside in the rain. ALSO, in contact with a guy in Ocala, FL who might be helping me with my 6.0L swap. I'm gonna be grabbing a 2000 NBS grey dash from him and were gonna talk a bit about the motor swap. Hopefully get a lot done this week. Will see, I'm gonna be doing tiling this week on top of doing lawns/school. SO, lets let the 6.0L swap begin, gonna clean out the shed this week in preperation. Gonna need to start gathering tools, need new jacks, gonna buy a motor crane, transmission jack, etc.

I'm gonna concentrate all efforts on the mechanical aspect of this truck and making everything the best it can be, I'll worry about body swaps down the road. I've decided I'm keeping with this frame and everything on it no matter what. My uncle up north is pro in doing body swaps and frame alterations so what I was saying is I might down the road swap a 2 door tahoe body onto this frame is all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wjauto1777