97 GMC Sierra 2500 SLE Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brenan Smith

In need of 97 6.5 diesel wiring schematic help!!
Reaction score
Hoddy all, I'm new to all this forum stuff but thought I'd give it a whirl, I'm a low tech guy in a high tech world so bear with me.

First off I bought this pickup for my first back in the summer of 2014, Since many generations of my family have mostly owned Chevrolet and GMC and have had good luck with them, I kinda already had in mind from a young age what I wanted, also my pas current pickup, as pictured below also had an influence.
You must be registered for see images attach

Before I got my pickup, I really wanted exactly what my dad had; a 6.5 TD 3/4 ton with a NV4500. Then I found it A 97 GMC with a 6.5 TD and a newly rebuilt NV just fore I bought it, mostly stock but the owner before which was the first, put 1 Ton springs under and a few other minor things, he drove it like a grandpa and so do I, got it for a good price of $2500 with not a dent in it and very clean pickup indeed but with a higher 265,000 miles.

Since then I've done a few minor mods to it such as almost all replacement front end parts, a gooseneck hitch, Custom offsets, and more.
Here's a picture of it currently

Since the motor had plenty of miles on it for a 6.5, and is a real high school parkin lot bug killer

I started figuring before I did any other exterior mods I'd have to figure out a new motor, I figured on a few different ideas such as building a new performance 6.5 diesel, or maybe a Duramax conversion. Then one day I saw one driving through town, a Chevy Cummins.
I thought this would be a great idea since the older Cummins motors are mechanical, you can build a good motor out of one, and they last a long time.
Turns out the one I saw driving that day, well it was rolled and I ended up buying it for $3000 this last summer of 2015, its a 96 1 ton Chevy crew cab with a hopped up 96 12v runnin in it, and a NV4500 on the floor.

Since gettin it home, i pulled the motor out of the Chevy, pulled anything else I needed or wanted, got the motor on a engine stand, tore it down put a complete gasket/seal set into it, and also rolled some new bearings into the bottom end while I was there. The only thing I didn't do was new rings, even though it has 460,000 miles on it, when I pulled the head for a new head gasket and head bolts, the cylinder walls still had cross honing from factory and the previous owner said it didn't burn a drop of oil and had no blow by. It also had the motor ran through and given a handful of upgrades such as a tuned up pump with a bunch of upgrades, larger intercooler, larger radiator, straight 4" exhaust, 4" down pipe, etc. I also plan to hop up the motor more in the future.

This is all I have done so far to my pickup and plan to do a lot more including exterior, interior, mechanical mods so I will keep updating as more gets done. Thanks for reading